Suture granuloma - elbow
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Maulik S Patel had no recorded disclosures.View Maulik S Patel's current disclosures
Clinically visible, painful nodule on medial aspect of elbow and a palpable non-painful nodule on posterior aspect of elbow for a few years. History of elbow surgery about 8 years back. Second surgery was performed to remove sutures. No operative details available.
There are two hypoechoic soft tissue nodules abutting the skin.
USG findings of clinically visible and painful nodule - medial elbow
- there is presence of suture material within the nodule
- there is hypervascularity in the lesion
- a surgical suture is also seen from soft tissue to bone
USG findings of clinically palpable and non-painful nodule - posterior elbow
- hypoechoic subcutaneous nodule shows presence of suture material within the nodule
- there is no vascularity in the lesion
- a surgical suture is also seen from skin to triceps muscle
Intra-operative photos show suture in vivo and in vitro.
Ultrasound finding of two elbow nodules suggests suture granuloma which was confirmed by surgery.
Intra-operative photos are courtesy of operating surgeon, Dr Pinkesh Patel.