Citation, DOI & case data
Acute decrease oxygen saturation and tachycardia in this intubated ICU patient.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Portable frontal radiography reveals a large right pneumothorax with marked shift of the mediastinum to the left as demonstrated by the leftward deviation of the endotracheal tube, trachea and cardiac silhouette.
2 case questions available
Tension pneumothorax is a medical emergency and defined as the presence of a pneumothorax AND hemodynamic compromise.
This intubated ICU patient developed spontaneous pneumothorax and was presumed to be iatrogenic due to high-pressure ventilation. The left central venous catheter has been in place for several days without any complications and was not likely the cause of the pneumothorax.
A rough guideline for communicating the size of the pneumothorax to the clinician is based on the maximal pleural separation from the chest wall: small (< 2 cm) vs large (>2 cm) 1.
39 public playlists include this case
- Atelectasis & Masses by Christopher L. Smoley
- Acute Chest by Piers Dugdale
- 一MBChB 5th year CXR by Jeremy Jones ◉
- Chest Waikato by Leon Vasquez
- ICU chest cases by Paul Heyworth
- 2019 Y4 Chest Imaging by Derek Smith ◉
- Pneumothorax by Piotr Guzdziol
- Med Student X-ray Playlist by Inderbir Jassel
- FRCR 2B AMR SAADAWY (part 2) (part 1) by Amr Saadawy
- Chest Cases by Melinda Novak
- 663-Atelectasis and Mass by Lauren Tollefson
- GK - Chest - CXR Basic by GLK
- EM 2020 Chest by Derek Smith ◉
- Chest x ray by Roisin Cannon
- CHEST VIVA by Juliana Tsuruta
- 2019-20 EM chest by Derek Smith ◉
- torax- Dr Ferreiro by Antonio Ferreiro Perez
- H-Y thorax cases by Elías Sæbjörn Eyþórsson
- RPA_Year1_Key_Conditions by Amie ◉
- Chest XRays by MELLAOUI AYA
- Intern Teaching - CXR by Mark Zureik ◉
- thoracic by frank fofie
- chest by Emil Michalski
- JHHCXR2018 by Mike
- QuickMedic Chest3 by David Lyness
- UQ practice cases: Chest 2 by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Chest - pneumothorax by Tom Molyneux
- DXI III- Chest_Airway dx by Chin (John) Cho
- 一FY Adult Chest by Jeremy Jones ◉
- Medical students by Philip Dempsey
- Pleural effusion by Richard Stretton
- Prüfung päd by Lisa Ruby
- Lunge og infektionsmedicin by Mikkel Frøling Nielsen
- BBH 2nd Year Medical Students - Quiz #1 by Henry Knipe ◉ ◈
- Quiz 1 by Katie Helms
- av frcr 2 by Avni K P Skandhan ◉
- Lockdown Chest (16:9) by Derek Smith ◉
- Trauma chest by Rachel Robinson
- Grove CXR review by Brandon Grove, M.D.