Tumefactive demyelinating lesion
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Hani Makky Al Salam had no recorded disclosures.View Hani Makky Al Salam's current disclosures
Middle age female presented with left sided weakness.
Note: This case has been tagged as "legacy" as it no longer meets image preparation and/or other case publication guidelines.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Brain CT scan demonstrates hypodense lesion seen over the right fronto-parietal-temporal area surrounded by vasogenic edema and causing midline shift to the left side. This lesion shows peripheral enhancement post IV contrast.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
The following day, brain MRI was performed, showing an intra-axial mass in the right temporal lobe with extension into the adjacent parietal and frontal lobes. The lesion is estimated to measure 6 cm in size. The brightness on FLAIR extends beyond the borders of the lesion into the adjacent basal ganglia and subinsular white matter and extends posteriorly to the occipital lobe and involves all the white matter structures of the right temporal lobe. This FLAIR signal may represent tumoral edema or true infiltration.
The large right temporal lesion demonstrates contradictory findings. The lesion exerts significant mass effect and demonstrates enhancement on conventional imaging. The spectroscopy studies demonstrate a central lactate peak. No clear-cut elevation in choline was demonstrated. The pattern of enhancement is incomplete. The contradictory findings raise the possibility that this lesion may not be neoplastic in nature. Consider a tumofactive demyelinating lesion as well as neoplasm for this lesion.
The patient went on to have a biopsy.
Histopathology and special stains are in favor of demyelinating disease process. Section show white matter changes exhibiting gliosis, reactive astrocyte and numerous lipid-laden macrophages.
Special stains (LFB-PAS & MBP) show loss of myelin and relative preservation of axons (NFP).
2 articles feature images from this case
42 public playlists include this case
- Neuro viva by Miguel
- Nöroradyoloji ve orbita vakaları by omer faruk simitcioglu
- CNS by Naseera Khanum
- epilepsy_playlist by Dominik Weller
- brain2 by Nguyễn thị hồng nhung
- 08/2021 by Hai Anh Nguyen
- Saima's Neuro viva cases by Vikash S Chennur ◉
- CYSTIC INTRACRANIAL TUMORS by Andre Vaz
- CNS WM dis. multiple sclerosis by Ali Labeeb Alwan
- BRAIN ZMIANY OGNISKOWE by Joanna
- CNS II by Sara maher
- Brain Tumor by David Cuete
- demyelination by Kutayba Adam
- A 2021 long by Abdullah Hajar
- Neuroradiology by Dylan Kurda
- Neuro_ring enhancing lesions by Alwyn
- SR RW Practice 2 June 2019 by Suraindra Mark Rajadurai
- TGRS by Tavonga Bayela
- FRANZCR 01A Neuro 2 by AMIRSALEH JAFARI
- FRCR 2B CNS by Osamah A. A. Alwalid
- neuro jan by Nahla fawzy mohamed noiem
- CNS MS by Ali Labeeb Alwan
- NeuroImaging 2 - Trauma, Demyelination and Vascular Lesions by Joel Lim
- Neuro - hemispheric mass by David Serich
- Vini added by Shannon Lewington
- RANZCR Neuro Viva Typical cases by Saima Batool ◉
- cns by nandan
- brain by Meydene Ong
- Intra-axial Tumours by David Ong
- Cases for royal melbourne 2 by Mark Schoenwaelder
- Inflammatory by Muhammad AlMatter
- Neuro (part 2) (part 1) by Taimur
- Brain by Andreas valsamis
- brain tmr by SANDEEP KUMAR
- neuro/ h&n by Mohammed Hamdan
- Neuroradiology by Muhammad Bin Zulfiqar
- neuro Sep 22 by elroy
- ms by danial safadi
- FRCR CNS by Rubi Subhash
- Neoplastic-like by Ralph Nelson
- Aunt Minnie Nöro by Turay Cesur
- 1- Neuro by Nahla fawzy mohamed noiem