Ulcerative colitis (gross pathology)
Citation, DOI & case data
Patient presents with refractory inflammatory bowel symptoms with diarrhea, pain and per rectum bleeding.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Segment of colon showing; extensive congestion and hemorrhage, irregular ulceration with pseudopolyp formation, and only minimal wall thickening.
The macroscopic features favor ulcerative colitis; this is based on continuous ('diffuse') ulceration, pseudopolyps (they are not true polyps, rather they are islands of residual intact mucosa within an area of ulceration), the muscualris propria and serosa are unremarkable (c.f. Crohn disease).
1 case question available
9 public playlists include this case
- GIT Path cases by Dr Murray Di Loreto ◉
- PATH by Lucy Blumer
- Path specimens by Dr Isaac Lui
- Viva - Path #1 by Dr Henry Knipe ◉ ◈
- Path Viva by Dr Dhruv Patel ◉
- VC PART II PATHOLOGY by Dr Vinicius Carraro do Nascimento
- 2.1.4 E4 by Elisabeth Ranharter
- P2 - Pathology by Dr Sachintha Hapugoda ◉
- GIT as per path notes by Gabrielle