Ulcerative colitis with toxic megacolon
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication David Puyó had no recorded disclosures.View David Puyó's current disclosures
Presented to the emergency department with abdominal pain, leukocytosis, hypotension associated with vomiting and diarrhea.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Diffuse thickening of the entire colon, mainly involving sigmoid and descending colon. Colonic dilatation with transverse colon diameter reaching 8.4 cm. No small bowel dilatation or pneumoperitoneum.
Toxic megacolon is acute dilatation of the non-obstructed colon, total or segmental,
accompanied by signs of systemic toxicity, which occurs as a consequence of severe inflammation of the colon.
Classically, toxic megacolon was considered to be exclusively related to severe ulcerative colitis but it is now known that it may also complicate severe forms of Crohn's disease or pseudomembranous colitis.
18 public playlists include this case
- GIT ✓ by Emil Settarzade
- Report Writing VIC FRANZCR 2020 PJD by Peregrine Dalziel
- UQ practice cases: Abdomen 1 by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- GIT Cases 1 by mahmoud hemed said
- I have to read by Dijendra Nath Biswas
- GIT by Tamer mohamed elsawy
- 0000000000000000001 by Susheel K
- Critical Care Abdominal Radiology by Rebecca Dooley
- Toxic megacolon by 안광민
- FRCR 2B Listing by Sherif Mohsen
- TOP by Sherif Mohsen
- SS AA 13 by Susheel K
- YJL GI Emergencies by YJ Lee
- 2023_EM전문의_복부 by Dayeon Lee
- 어려웡ㅠㅠ by Dayeon Lee
- aaabd ss new by Susheel K
- ss 175 by Susheel K
- A new cases by Abdullah Hajar