Citation, DOI and case data
Elderly gentleman presenting with a clinical diagnosis of dementia characterized by impairments of memory and language function. Past medical history includes hypertension, ischemic heart disease and AF.
2 case question available
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Very extensive white matter T2 hyperintensity seen throughout both cerebral hemispheres, which is non-specific, but suggests chronic small vessel ischemia, particularly in a patient with hypertension. No punctate regions of susceptibility induce signal dropout to suggest microhemorrhages of cerebral amyloid angiopathy or hypertension.
The corpus callosum is thinned particularly anteriorly, associated with quite pronounced cerebral volume loss, which is perhaps marginally more noticeable in the frontal and anterior temporal regions. There is little left/right asymmetry, especially when coronal images are corrected for slight tilt of the patient. The hippocampal heads are volume depleted, as are the parahippocampal gyri and inferior temporal gyri, also more marked anteriorly.
Cerebral blood volume (CBV) appears reduced throughout both cerebral hemispheres.
Extensive chronic small vessel ischemic changes is the most striking finding.
Mild parietal volume loss and quite striking anterior hippocampal and temporal lobe atrophy may also suggest co-existing AD.
Frontal and anterior temporal lobe atrophy raises the possibility of language variant frontotemporal dementia, however, the age and absence of left/right asymmetry makes this unlikely.
24 public playlist include this case
- CC&D education day by Dr Simon Vann Jones
- Neuroradiology TEACHING by Dr Hannah Lake
- neurodegenerative by NGO THI LY LY
- The Australian and New Zealand Neuropsychiatry and Behavioural Neurology Conference 2014: MRI in neuropsychiatry and behavioural neurology. by Assoc Prof Frank Gaillard ◉ ◈
- Primer - Neuroradiology - Degenerative and White Matter Disease by Aman
- Dementia by Dr Penelope McLernon
- Neuro - Clinical Conditions - Dementia by Dr Charlie Handley
- CNS Stroke / White matter / Dementia by Cary MacMillan
- Neuro 2- Facomatoses, Dça Desmielinizantes e Neurodegenerativa et al. by Dr Mauricio Macagnan
- Coombe House by Dr Simon Vann Jones
- neuroradiology by Dr Asthik Biswas
- UQ Med Yr 3 Medicine in Society Stream C pre tutorial by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- ADR White matter disease by Dr Andres del Rio ◉ ◈
- A SFU Radiologie by Eva Fischer ◉
- Neuro: White Matter Diseases by Dr Annabelle Skelley
- UQ Med Yr 3 Medicine in Society Stream C by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- DEMENTIA by Trinh Thi Hien
- white matter diseases by Dr. Valentin Karl Ladenhauf
- Neuropsychiatry neuroimaging 2019 by Dr Brad Hayhow
- Neurodegenerative disease by Ryan McConnell
- neuro by Stefan Teodoru-Saman
- neurodegenerative by Dr Saurabh Srivastava ◉
- NeuroImaging 2 - Trauma, Demyelination and Vascular Lesions by Joel Lim
- Cases ideal for Reporting by Dr Saurabh Srivastava ◉