Citation, DOI & case data
Elderly gentleman presenting with a clinical diagnosis of dementia characterized by impairments of memory and language function. Past medical history includes hypertension, ischemic heart disease and AF.
2 case questions available
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Very extensive white matter T2 hyperintensity seen throughout both cerebral hemispheres, which is non-specific, but suggests chronic small vessel ischemia, particularly in a patient with hypertension. No punctate regions of susceptibility induce signal dropout to suggest microhemorrhages of cerebral amyloid angiopathy or hypertension.
The corpus callosum is thinned particularly anteriorly, associated with quite pronounced cerebral volume loss, which is perhaps marginally more noticeable in the frontal and anterior temporal regions. There is little left/right asymmetry, especially when coronal images are corrected for slight tilt of the patient. The hippocampal heads are volume depleted, as are the parahippocampal gyri and inferior temporal gyri, also more marked anteriorly.
Cerebral blood volume (CBV) appears reduced throughout both cerebral hemispheres.
Extensive chronic small vessel ischemic changes is the most striking finding.
Mild parietal volume loss and quite striking anterior hippocampal and temporal lobe atrophy may also suggest co-existing Alzheimer's disease.
Frontal and anterior temporal lobe atrophy raises the possibility of language variant frontotemporal dementia, however, the age and absence of left/right asymmetry make this unlikely.
37 public playlists include this case
- infections of brain.... by Do Thanh Danh
- Neuro- MT by Travis Robinson
- Neurodegenerative by Rehan Ali ◉
- rr by amir akbarzade akbarzade
- Neuropsychiatry neuroimaging 2019 by Brad Hayhow
- neurodegenerative by Saurabh Srivastava
- UQ Med Yr 3 Medicine in Society Stream C by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Neuro: White Matter Diseases by Annabelle Skelley
- A SFU Radiologie by Eva Fischer ◉
- neuroradiology by Asthik Biswas
- neuro by Stefan Teodoru-Saman
- Prova radio by Lucas Gabriel Rodrigues Pinheiro
- Neuro 2- Facomatoses, Dça Desmielinizantes e Neurodegenerativa et al. by Mauricio Macagnan
- CNS Stroke / White matter / Dementia by Cary MacMillan
- Neuro - Clinical Conditions - Dementia by Charlie Handley
- Dementia by Penelope McLernon
- 05/06/2022 by Joshua Yip
- The Australian and New Zealand Neuropsychiatry and Behavioural Neurology Conference 2014: MRI in neuropsychiatry and behavioural neurology. by Frank Gaillard ◉ ◈
- DK demyelinating by Dominic Joey Ku
- 2continue : Brain by David Fällmar ◉
- Neuroradiology TEACHING by Hannah Lake
- NeuroImaging 2 - Trauma, Demyelination and Vascular Lesions by Joel Lim
- CC&D education day by Simon Vann Jones
- white matter diseases by Dr. Valentin Karl Ladenhauf
- DEMENTIA by Trinh Thi Hien
- ADR White matter disease by Andres del Rio ◉ ◈
- UQ Med Yr 3 Medicine in Society Stream C pre tutorial by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Dementias and Degenerative Disorders by Renor Gonçalves de Castro Neto ◉
- Cases ideal for Reporting by Saurabh Srivastava
- Coombe House by Simon Vann Jones
- Primer - Neuroradiology - Degenerative and White Matter Disease by Aman
- neurodegenerative by NGO THI LY LY
- White Matter Disease by Evyn Arnfield
- CT/MRI cerebrum by Kasper Tichelaar
- Promet Nöro by Turay Cesur
- Quiz MR 01 2023 by Salvador Padilla Icaza
- Neurodegenerative disease by Ryan McConnell