Clinical Radiology (journal)
Citation, DOI & article data
Clinical Radiology (ISO4: Clin Rad) is the official journal of the Faculty of Clinical Radiology of the Royal College of Radiologists (UK) and was first published in 1960 1. It is published monthly and its current editor is Mike J Weston and its Impact Factor is 2.350 (ISI) 2.
Clinical Radiology is the direct successor to the Journal of the Faculty of Radiologists, which was published from 1949-1959 1. The change in name was intended to convey to readers the international nature of the journal; its former title was felt to be too narrow in geographic scope 3. The first issue was published in January 1960. Despite the change in name the volume numbers continued so that the last volume of the Journal of the Faculty of Radiologists was Volume X, and the first volume of Clinical Radiology was Volume XI 3.
In September 1989, Clinical Oncology, the journal of the Faculty of Clinical Oncologists of the Royal College of Radiologists (UK) was first published and from this date, radiotherapy articles were no longer accepted by Clinical Radiology 6.
Clinical Radiology became a monthly periodical in January 1990, this change was announced in an Editorial in July 1989 6.
Editors used to serve five-year terms, in the early 1980s this was changed to four-year terms.
- 1959-1964 David Sutton* 4
- 1964-1969 Anthony M Jelliffe
- 1969-1974 Ronald G Grainger
- 1974-1979 Philip Jacobs 5
- 1979-1983 K C Simpkins 6
- 1984-1988 Ian H Kerr
- 1988-1990 Chris DR Flower
- 1990-1994 Peter Armstrong
- 1994-1998 Rodney Reznek
- 1998-2002 Adrian Dixon
- 2002-2006 David Hansell
- 2006-2010 Bob Bury
- 2010-2014 Derrick Martin
- 2014-2018 Grant Baxter
- 2018-2022 Mike J Weston
Arumugam Rajesh, a GI radiologist, has been appointed as the new Editor to start in September 2022 and serve to 2026 7.
* David Sutton was also the last editor of the Journal of the Faculty of Radiologists.
- 1. Adrian M. K. Thomas, Arpan K. Banerjee. The History of Radiology. (2013) ISBN: 9780199639977
- 2. Clinical Radiology Journal. https://www.rcr.ac.uk/clinical-radiology/academic-radiology-and-research/clinical-radiology-journal [accessed 7 February 2022].
- 3. Editorial. (1960) Clinical Radiology. 11 (1): 1. doi:10.1016/S0009-9260(60)80058-X
- 4. Editorial Board (1960) Clinical Radiology. 11 (1). https://www.clinicalradiologyonline.net/article/S0009-9260(60)80057-8/pdf.
- 5. Jacobs P. Editorial. Clinical Radiology. 25 (4): 421. https://www.clinicalradiologyonline.net/article/S0009-9260(74)80119-4/fulltext
- 6. Flowers CDF. Editorial Announcement . Clinical Radiology (1989) 40 (4): 331. https://www.clinicalradiologyonline.net/article/S0009-9260(89)80110-2/pdf.
- 7. New Editor in Chief for Clinical Radiology. https://www.rcr.ac.uk/posts/new-editor-chief-clinical-radiology [accessed 7 February 2022].