Papillary serous carcinoma of the cervix
Accodring to some studies, there was a bimodal age distribution, with one peak occurring before the age of 40 years and the second peak after the age of 65 1.
Papillary serous adenocarcinoma of the cervix resembles microscopically its counterparts elsewhere in the female genital tract and peritoneum.
PSCC may give a significantly higher p53 and lower CEA reactivity than other more common histologic subtypes 5
Staging is same other cervical tumours - see - cervical cancer staging
Treatment and prognosis
These tumours can behave aggressively with supradiaphragmatic metastases and a rapidly fatal course when diagnosed at an advanced stage, but the outcome for patients with stage I tumors is similar to that of patients with cervical adenocarcinomas of the usual type 1.
The following factors have been associated with a poorer prognosis 1
- age <65 years at diagnosis
- stage > I
- tumour size > 2 cm
- tumour invasion > 10 mm
- presence of lymph node metastases
- elevation of serum CA-125
In contrast to ovarian, tubal, and endometrial serous carcinomas, local therapy appears to be effective treatment for many serous carcinomas of the cervix 2.
- 1. Zhou C, Gilks CB, Hayes M et-al. Papillary serous carcinoma of the uterine cervix: a clinicopathologic study of 17 cases. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 1998;22 (1): 113-20. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Rose PG, Reale FR. Serous papillary carcinoma of the cervix. Gynecol. Oncol. 1993;50 (3): 361-4. doi:10.1006/gyno.1993.1226 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Geisler JP, Hiett AK, Geisler HE et-al. Papillary serous carcinoma of the cervix: ultrasonographic findings. Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 1998;19 (6): 519-21. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Yüksel H, Sezer SD, Küçük M et-al. Papillary serous adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix: a case report. Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol. 2011;32 (2): 240-2. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Nofech-mozes S, Rasty G, Ismiil N et-al. Immunohistochemical characterization of endocervical papillary serous carcinoma. Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer. 16 Suppl 1 : 286-92. doi:10.1111/j.1525-1438.2006.00514.x - Pubmed citation