Post dates fetus is when there is prolonged gestation when the fetus remains in-utero beyond 2 weeks beyond expected date of delivery (>42 weeks gestation).
The reported frequency is at approximately 3-12% of pregnancies.
- maternal obesity
- fetal macrosomia: which in turn can cause added complications such as
- higher rate of meconium aspiration
- higher rate of neonatal encephalopathy ref
- increased risk of placental insufficiency
- increased risk of perineal injury: from large fetus
- labor dystocia
- increased risk of endometritis ref
- elective induction of labor
- expectant management +/-
- antenatal testing