Fatty liver (steatosis)
Citation, DOI and case data
Past history of heavy ethanol ingestion. Now right upper quadrant pain and abnormal liver function.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Liver is enlarged and of low density ie HU density of -6 (less than water). This is due to the presence of fat globules within hepatocytes. Note focal fatty sparing ie normal liver in the gall bladder fossa (arrow) - a common finding and not a mass lesion. Note also how the blood vessels ie portal and hepatic veins stand out on the low density background.
Pain is presumed to be due to capsular stretching due to the fatty change per se as well as possible alcoholic hepatitis.
1 article features images from this case
10 public playlist include this case
- Diffuse hepatic steatosis by Vasilii
- Aula 3- Pancreas by Dr Fernando Machado Maia
- Liver by Dr Thuấn Nguyễn Hoàng
- 3_114 Liver: Cirrhosis and NASH by RAB Three
- abdo2 by Ayesha Arora
- Lifur og gallvegir by Arnljótur Björn Halldórsson
- BPT Abdo by Dr Wayland Wang ◉ ◈
- Hepatobiliary by Henriette Vaage Valen
- A new cases by Dr Abdullah Hajar
- Certificate: 3_114 Liver: Cirrhosis and NASH by RAB Three