Citation, DOI and case data
Placental re-assessment at 33 weeks gestation.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Transabdominal and transvaginal ultrasound demonstrate an abnormally low position of the placenta, covering the anterior lower uterine segment, and also the internal cervical os, in keeping with a major grade placenta previa.
Multiple blood filled spaces are noted throughout the placenta (placental lacunae), a finding associated with abnormal placental adherence.
There is marked thinning of the anterior myometrium, with no appreciable myometrial tissue demonstrated between the placenta and the bladder serosa.
Color imaging further supports the diagnosis, with marked placental vascularity and increased vascularity of the uterine-bladder interface
Abnormal placental adherence is an important cause of maternal peripartum morbidity and mortality due to massive hemorrhage.
Awareness of the sonographic findings and vigilant imaging of patients with risk factors - in particular placenta previa and multiple previous Cesarian sections - increases the likelihood of accurate prenatal diagnosis.
This in turn enables adequate pre-operative preparation, such as planned delivery at a tertiary institution, and preparation of a large quantity of crossmatched red blood cells.
1 article features images from this case
28 public playlist include this case
- GK - O&G - Obs - Placenta, cord, cervix by GLK
- Gynacology by Dr Abdullah Hajar
- Grill OG mammo by Dr Christopher Lee
- O&G tut by Manish99
- Cases for review pre exam by Dr Lawrence Oh
- OBG cases by Dr Aanchal Agarwal
- Obstetrics Gold by Parveen Sidhu
- O&G tute by Dr Alexandra Stanislavsky ◉
- Obstetric cases by Dr Simon Meagher by Dr Alexandra Stanislavsky ◉
- ROHIT OBG by Doctor Rima Kumari
- MAK OBS/GYN by Dr Michael Kreltszheim
- O and G 2 by Dr anthony trimboli ◉
- E-FIlms 101 by Dr Sherif Maccar ◉
- WDHB - O+G by Pieter Wood
- Obstetrics by Naveen Kumar Govindaraju
- EXAM by KUMAR
- Obstetric viva 5 by Dr Babawale S. Niyi
- ER (part 2) by Taimur
- Gyn by Gabrielle
- Abnormal cord and placenta by Dr Praveen Jha
- OB by Taimur
- Gynae Viva Ultrasound 3 by Dr Babawale S. Niyi
- O&G 31 May by Emily Stevens
- JZ obstetric viva by Johnson Zang ◉
- Obs Gyn 1 by Andrew
- OBGYN by Dr Arthur Daire
- OB by Taimur
- Obs by I love radiology so much Rania mahmoud