Clear cell carcinoma of the cervix
Clear cell carcinoma of the cervix (CCCC) is a rare adenocarcinoma subtype of cervical cancer.
Due to association with diethylstilbestrol (DES) exposure in some patients, this subtype may have a younger age at presentation than other histological subtypes. This subtype can sometimes present in the paediatric age group 5.
The tumour can have solid, tubulocystic or papillary patterns 3.
- there has been some association with in utero DES exposure in some patients ( ~6%) 2
- unlike other types of cervical cancer, there is not thought to be any association with HPV DNA 4
Treatment and prognosis
In selected cases (particularly paediatric patients), radical trachelectomies have been carried out with fertility sparing 4-5.
- 1. Hiromura T, Tanaka YO, Nishioka T et-al. Clear cell adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix arising from a background of cervical endometriosis. Br J Radiol. 2009;82 (973): e20-2. doi:10.1259/bjr/75304693 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Thomas MB, Wright JD, Leiser AL et-al. Clear cell carcinoma of the cervix: a multi-institutional review in the post-DES era. Gynecol. Oncol. 2008;109 (3): 335-9. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2008.02.007 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Levine DA, Santos JF, Fleming GF. Handbook for Principles and Practice of Gynecologic Oncology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2010) ISBN:0781778484. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Shreve P. Clinical PET-CT. Springer Verlag. (2010) ISBN:0387489002. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 5. Lester FC, Farmer DL, Rabban JT et-al. Radical trachelectomy for clear cell carcinoma of the cervix in a 6-year old: a case report, review, and description of the surgical technique. J. Pediatr. Surg. 2010;45 (8): E1-5. doi:10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2010.05.032 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Abu-rustum NR, Su W, Levine DA et-al. Pediatric radical abdominal trachelectomy for cervical clear cell carcinoma: a novel surgical approach. Gynecol. Oncol. 2005;97 (1): 296-300. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2004.12.050 - Pubmed citation