Fetal biophysical profile score (BPS or BPP) refers to assessment of four discrete biophysical variables by ultrasound. It is a standard tool in antepartum fetal assessment. It is usually assessed after 28 weeks of gestation.
The ultrasound variables are:
- fetal breathing: considered abnormal if there is
- absent breathing
- no breathing episode for ≥ 20 seconds within a 30 minute lapse
- fetal tone: considered abnormal if there is
- slow extension with return to partial flexion
- absent fetal movement
- fetal movement (gross body movement): considered abnormal if there is
- < 2 episodes of body/limb movements within a 30 minute lapse
- amniotic fluid volume: considered abnormal if the the largest pocket is < 2 x 2 cm
Each of these parameters is given a score of either 0 or 2 points where an abnormal score gets 0 while a normal score gets 2.
Therefore on ultrasound assessment, a total score is given out of 8. An overall abnormal score out of 8 is often taken as 4/8 or less.
In addition to this, an additional non sonographic variable (non stress test) with two extra points can also be taken into account. In which case a score is given out of 10.
Potential confounding variables
Some reports show maternal fasting resulting in reduced fetal breathing movements which can in turn affect the BPP score 5.
Additional work up
Umbilical arterial Doppler assessment is usually additionally carried out to evaluate fetuses with abnormal BPP scores.
History and etymology
The score was initially proposed by F A Manning et al in 1980 3.
- 1. Guimarães filho HA, Araujo júnior E, Nardozza LM et-al. Ultrasound assessment of the fetal biophysical profile: what does an radiologist need to know? Eur J Radiol. 2008;66 (1): 122-6. doi:10.1016/j.ejrad.2007.05.011 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Manning FA, Morrison I, Lange IR et-al. Fetal biophysical profile scoring: selective use of the nonstress test. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1987;156 (3): 709-12. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Manning FA, Platt LD, Sipos L. Antepartum fetal evaluation: development of a fetal biophysical profile. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1980;136 (6): 787-95. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Manning FA. Fetal biophysical profile. Obstet. Gynecol. Clin. North Am. 1999;26 (4): 557-77, v. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Mirghani HM, Weerasinghe DS, Ezimokhai M et-al. The effect of maternal fasting on the fetal biophysical profile. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2003;81 (1): 17-21. Int J Gynaecol Obstet (link) - Pubmed citation