Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia is a subtype of cemento-osseous dysplasia. It is a rare condition presenting in the jaw refers to a group of fibro-osseous (cemental) exuberant lesions with multi-quadrant involvement.
There may be an increased female predilection and tends to be most prevalent in the 4th to 5th decades of life.
It is considered a reactive, non-neoplastic process confined to tooth-bearing areas of the jaws.
Orthopantomogram / cone-beam CT
Radiographically, florid cemento-osseous dysplasia is characterized by multiple masses of mixed radiopaque structures. The may have a circumferential radiolucency, primarily surrounding the root apices of vital teeth, and over time with the maturation of the lesions, they tend to become increasingly radiopaque.
History and etymology
Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia was first described by Melrose et al. in 1976.
Possible differential considerations include 2
- Paget disease: affecting jaw
- gigantiform cementoma
- chronic diffuse sclerosing osteomyelitis
- focal areas of fibrous dysplasia
- periapical cemental dysplasia
- gnathic osteosarcoma (on rare occasions)
- 1. Kim JH, Song BC, Kim SH, Park YS. Clinical, radiographic, and histological findings of florid cemento-osseous dysplasia: a case report. (2011) Imaging science in dentistry. 41 (3): 139-42. doi:10.5624/isd.2011.41.3.139 - Pubmed
- 2. Yildirim E, Bağlar S, Ciftci ME, Ozcan E. Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia: A rare case report evaluated with cone-beam computed tomography. (2016) Journal of oral and maxillofacial pathology : JOMFP. 20 (2): 329. doi:10.4103/0973-029X.185930 - Pubmed
- 3. Curé JK, Vattoth S, Shah R. Radiopaque jaw lesions: an approach to the differential diagnosis. (2012) Radiographics : a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 32 (7): 1909-25. doi:10.1148/rg.327125003 - Pubmed
- 4. Gonçalves M, Píspico R, Alves Fde A, Lugão CE, Gonçalves A. Clinical, radiographic, biochemical and histological findings of florid cemento-osseous dysplasia and report of a case. (2005) Brazilian dental journal. 16 (3): 247-50. doi:/S0103-64402005000300014 - Pubmed
- 5. Das BK, Das SN, Gupta A, Nayak S. Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia. (2013) Journal of oral and maxillofacial pathology : JOMFP. 17 (1): 150. doi:10.4103/0973-029X.110735 - Pubmed
- 6. Kutluay Köklü H, Cankal DA, Bozkaya S, Ergün G, Bar E. Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia: Report of a case documented with clinical, radiographic, biochemical and histological findings. (2013) Journal of clinical and experimental dentistry. 5 (1): e58-61. doi:10.4317/jced.50854 - Pubmed