Primary pulmonary choriocarcinoma (PPC) is a type of non gestational choriocarcinoma which originates in the lung. It is an extremly rare entity.
Presentation can be variable ranging from dyspnoea, cough and chest pain, to weight loss. Some patients may present with haemoptysis. On occasion it may be routinely discovered as an incidental lung mass / lesion 5.
Serum beta HCG levels tend to be elevated - and may drop following resection and therapy 6.
Management and prognosis
In contrast to gestational choriocarcinoma, primary pulmonary choriocarcinomas are considered generally unresponsive to surgical and chemotherapeutic treatment and are thought to carry a much poorer prognosis (with 5 year survival being under 5%). At the time of initial writing, resection followed by adjuvant chemotherapy is considered to the most effective 1.
When a suspected lung lesion shows "choriocarcinoma" on histology following biospy - the main differential consideration is metastatic choriocarcinoma to lung.
- 1. Umemori Y, Hiraki A, Aoe K et-al. Primary choriocarcinoma of the lung. Anticancer Res. 24 (3b): 1905-10. Anticancer Res. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Tanimura A, Natsuyama H, Kawano M et-al. Primary choriocarcinoma of the lung. Hum. Pathol. 1985;16 (12): 1281-4. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Otsuka T, Ohshima Y, Sunaga Y et-al. Primary pulmonary choriocarcinoma in a four month old boy complicated with precocious puberty. Acta Paediatr Jpn. 1994;36 (4): 404-7. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Seol HJ, Lee JH, Lee KY et-al. Primary pulmonary choriocarcinoma presenting with a hemothorax. J Thorac Oncol. 2009;4 (5): 663-5. doi:10.1097/JTO.0b013e31819cce6c - Pubmed citation
- 5. Serno J, Zeppernick F, Jäkel J et-al. Primary pulmonary choriocarcinoma: case report and review of the literature. Gynecol. Obstet. Invest. 2012;74 (2): 171-6. doi:10.1159/000336784 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Vegh GL, Szigetvári I, Soltesz I et-al. Primary pulmonary choriocarcinoma: a case report. J Reprod Med. 2008;53 (5): 369-72. - Pubmed citation
- 7. Pushchak MJ, Farhi DC. Primary choriocarcinoma of the lung. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 1987;111 (5): 477-9. - Pubmed citation
- 8. Van nostrand KM, Lucci JA, Liao SY et-al. Primary lung choriocarcinoma masquerading as a metastatic gestational neoplasm. Gynecol. Oncol. 1994;53 (3): 361-5. doi:10.1006/gyno.1994.1148 - Pubmed citation