Last chance for 25% off our online courses and all-access passes! EXPLORE OUR LIBRARY

Choanal atresia

Case contributed by Dr Ian Bickle

Presentation

Infant with right sided nasal drip. Clinical suspicion of choanal atresia.

Patient Data

Age: 9 months
Gender: Male
CT

Movement artifact on some images ( scan performed without sedation in a infant )

Thin bony septum across the right chonanal opening.

Small amount of obstructive fluid in the posterior right nasal canal.

Normal left nasal canal.

Case Discussion

Choanal atresia refers to a lack of formation of the choanal openings.

Bilateral typically present soon after birth with neonatal respiratory distress.

Unilateral choanal atresias present later and can be relatively asymptomatic or present with rhinorrhea and represent 2/3 of cases.

The vast majority ( 90% ) are osseous, with the remaining 10% membraneous.

 

PlayAdd to Share

Case information

rID: 39443
Published: 5th Sep 2015
Last edited: 14th Aug 2019
Inclusion in quiz mode: Included

Updating… Please wait.

 Unable to process the form. Check for errors and try again.

 Thank you for updating your details.