Colovesical fistula due to sigmoid colitis
Citation, DOI and case data
One week of abdominal pain, fever and rigors.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Rectal contrast via a rectal tube. Oral contrast also given.
A 10 cm segment of sigmoid colon is abnormal, with stricturing and circumferential wall thickening. There are a few diverticuli in this segment and elsewhere. A moderate degree of paracolic fat stranding is present, particularly extending to the bladder where the intervening fat plane between the bladder and colon is absent. There is marked bladder wall thickening and a gas locule in the inflamed tissue between the colon and bladder in keeping with a fistula. Gas also noted in the bladder, although no rectal contrast is seen in the bladder. The large bowel is not distended.
A few cortical cysts noted in the kidneys. The remainder of the solid organs are normal. No free fluid or gas. Minor dependent changes noted at the lung bases. No focal or destructive bone lesion.
Sigmoid colitis and colovesical fistula secondary to sigmoid diverticulosis.
Outpatient colonoscopy is advised to ensure there is no underlying sigmoid malignancy.
The patient had the sigmoid colon resected and bladder repaired.
Colonoscopy biopsy = normal colonic mucosa.
21 public playlist include this case
- Acute abdomen part 1 by Clinical Associate Professor Peter Poullos
- Manzoor-Rad GU by Manzoor Ahmad
- UQ Radiology video tutorial: Abdo: Diverticular disease by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Abdomen 3 by Dra Johana Rosinger
- Hépatogastroenterology by Félix
- tc abd by Oscar Valenzuela
- Abdo study group by Eric Lai
- GIT by Dr Saurabh Srivastava ◉
- UQ Med Yr 2 Acute abdominal pain by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- kejsy #1 (part 9) by Lech Gradziński
- abdo viva 1 by Cheng Lin Ting
- 11/9/20 by Jin XU
- Manzoor-Rad Mixed (part 2) by Manzoor Ahmad
- UQ Med Yr 1 GIT: Bowel by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- ER abdomen by Dr Abdulmajid Bawazeer
- EXAM by shyamnath G
- Favourites by Mr. Robert
- Neuro GI vistos by Antonio Jesús
- Lastday Ranzcr before efilm by PARTH
- Nurse Practitioner education 2018 - acute abdominal imaging by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Intern Radiology - CT abdomen by Assoc Prof Craig Hacking ◉ ◈