Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Amr Farouk had no recorded disclosures.View Amr Farouk's current disclosures
Multiple cutaneous itchy spots, freckles, abdominal pain, skeletal pain, diarrhea and nausea.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Multiple enlarged discrete lymph nodes involving bilateral lower deep cervical, bilateral axillary, mediastinal (namely superior mediastinal, pre-vascular, retro-caval, carinal, zygo-esophageal and aorto-pulmonary lymph nodes) and broncho-pulmonary (hilar) lymph nodes as well as abdominal lymph nodes (namely para-aortic, retro-peritoneal, periportal and mesenteric lymph nodes) as well as inguinal lymph nodes.
Hepatomegaly. Shrunken spleen (autosplenectomy). Thickening of the omentum and mesentery.
The examined skeleton showed sclerotic lesions of variable size diffusely distributed in the spinal column, the pelvis, shoulder girdle and hip region. Some of the lesions are poorly defined and some are well circumscribed.
Skeletal abnormalities include, in decreasing frequency; osteopenia/osteoporosis, osteosclerosis, or a combination of both. Osteolytic lesions can be well or poorly demarcated and may be surrounded by a sclerotic zone.
Common abdominal imaging findings associated with systemic mastocytosis are hepatosplenomegaly, retroperitoneal adenopathy, periportal adenopathy, mesenteric adenopathy, thickening of the omentum and the mesentery as well as ascites.
Less common abdominal findings included hepatofugal portal venous flow, Budd-Chiari syndrome, cavernous transformation of the portal vein, ovarian mass, and complications such as chloroma.
This patient diagnosis was confirmed by a skin biopsy showing a skin fragment with dense dermal collagen bundles, with papillary dark nuclei & scanty cytoplasm. Cells gave positive reaction to CD 117 and toluidine blue. Giemsa was negative. Picture consistent with mastocytosis.
1 article features images from this case
30 public playlists include this case
- 0 MSK 19 by Antone Samy
- Paediatrics by Hannah Ireland ◉
- 6 in 30 min by Joshua Wells
- 4.4.2016- Ashank by Chinthaka Appuhamy
- YJL 2B GI by YJ Lee
- educational cases by Sepehr Haghighi
- Viva 2B by Ahmad khalifa
- MSK by dr quratulain
- 1.2.3. Viva by Tamer Ghorab
- Revision - MSK by Aman Sandhu
- MSK (part 2) by Taimur
- Paeds by Kevin Sheng
- Systemic by Taimur
- 1.3 by F Teo
- Git manifestation of systematic disease by Marya Hameed
- Revision - GI by Aman Sandhu
- GIT by Mohammed Ahmed Fahmy
- Multisystem by Mohammed Abdelaziz
- FRCR by Hairuddin Achmad
- kejsy 9 by Lech Gradziński
- Hematologic by Kayla Beck
- 00000001 by Susheel K
- radiololy xray by Luong Minh Tuan
- FRCR misc by Eman Mansour
- git by Nahla fawzy mohamed noiem
- interesting by Abdullah M.K.
- 2 significant findings by PRATEEK BHAWSINKA
- FRCR by Mohamed Salahaldin Elroos
- Long case by Gregory Makris
- FRCR VIVA 1 JUNE by Swati S Adhav