Cystic endometrial hyperplasia is the most common as well as the most benign form of endometrial hyperplasia.
Typically shows endometrial thickening with associated cysts.
For imaging appearences consider:
- prolonged proliferative phase from chronic anovulation 3
- e.g. those with PCOS / long term oral contraceptive use in a premenopausal patient
- 1. Jorizzo JR, Chen MY, Martin D et-al. Spectrum of endometrial hyperplasia and its mimics on saline hysterosonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;179 (2): 385-9. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Nalaboff KM, Pellerito JS, Ben-levi E. Imaging the endometrium: disease and normal variants. Radiographics. 21 (6): 1409-24. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Peri N, Levine D. Sonographic evaluation of the endometrium in patients with a history or an appearance of polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Ultrasound Med. 2007;26 (1): 55-8. J Ultrasound Med (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Sheth S, Hamper UM, Kurman RJ. Thickened endometrium in the postmenopausal woman: sonographic-pathologic correlation. Radiology. 1993;187 (1): 135-9. doi:10.1148/radiology.187.1.8451399 - Pubmed citation