Dysplastic liver nodules are focal nodular regions (≥1 mm) without definite evidence of malignancy.
They have been found in cirrhotic patients with a prevalence of 14% (size >1.0 cm) to 37% (size >0.5 cm) 2.
- nuclear atypia
- increased fat or glycogen in the cluster of dysplastic cells
They are broadly divided as 2,4:
- low grade: imaging appearance closer to regenerative nodule
- high grade: imaging appearance closer to hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)
Cirrhotic changes are present but the nodules may not be visualised on ultrasound. Few cases have shown hypo- and hyperechoic nodules and the echogenicity relates to the fat content in the nodule.
Usually hypoattenuating, however they may be iso- or hyperattenuating to the hepatic parenchyma.
- contrast: they may show early arterial uptake but the contrast does not wash out on delayed phase (unlike HCC)
- T1: high, low, or homogeneous intensity
- in and out phase: shows fat accumulation
- T2: iso- to hypointense
- T1 C+ (Gd)
- high grade nodules show early contrast enhancement without washout on delayed phase
T2* C+ (SPIO)
- low grade nodules appear hypointense 13
- T1 C+ (Gd)
Treatment and prognosis
They are considered premalignant and hence follow-up is necessary. Percutaneous ablation therapy can be considered 9.
There can be some imaging overlap with hepatocellular carcinoma.
- 1. Choi BI, Han JK, Hong SH et-al. Dysplastic nodules of the liver: imaging findings. Abdom Imaging. 24 (3): 250-7. Abdom Imaging (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Lim JH, Cho JM, Kim EY et-al. Dysplastic nodules in liver cirrhosis: evaluation of hemodynamics with CT during arterial portography and CT hepatic arteriography. Radiology. 2000;214 (3): 869-74. Radiology (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Krinsky GA, Theise ND, Rofsky NM et-al. Dysplastic nodules in cirrhotic liver: arterial phase enhancement at CT and MR imaging--a case report. Radiology. 1998;209 (2): 461-4. Radiology (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Hussain SM, Zondervan PE, Ijzermans JN et-al. Benign versus malignant hepatic nodules: MR imaging findings with pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 22 (5): 1023-36. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Kawamoto S, Soyer PA, Fishman EK et-al. Nonneoplastic liver disease: evaluation with CT and MR imaging. Radiographics. 18 (4): 827-48. Radiographics (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 6. Wu TT, Boitnott J. Dysplastic nodules: a new term for premalignant hepatic nodular lesions. Radiology. 1996;201 (1): 21-2. Radiology (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Kim CK, Lim JH, Lee WJ. Detection of hepatocellular carcinomas and dysplastic nodules in cirrhotic liver: accuracy of ultrasonography in transplant patients. J Ultrasound Med. 2001;20 (2): 99-104. J Ultrasound Med (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 8. Giorgio A, Calisti G, Di sarno A et-al. Characterization of dysplastic nodules, early hepatocellular carcinoma and progressed hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis with contrast-enhanced ultrasound. Anticancer Res. 2011;31 (11): 3977-82. Anticancer Res. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 9. Lim JH, Kim MJ, Park CK et-al. Dysplastic nodules in liver cirrhosis: detection with triple phase helical dynamic CT. Br J Radiol. 2004;77 (923): 911-6. doi:10.1259/bjr/56713551 - Pubmed citation
- 10. Kim CK, Lim JH, Lee WJ. Detection of hepatocellular carcinomas and dysplastic nodules in cirrhotic liver: accuracy of ultrasonography in transplant patients. J Ultrasound Med. 2001;20 (2): 99-104. J Ultrasound Med (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 11. Bennett GL, Krinsky GA, Abitbol RJ et-al. Sonographic detection of hepatocellular carcinoma and dysplastic nodules in cirrhosis: correlation of pretransplantation sonography and liver explant pathology in 200 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;179 (1): 75-80. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 12. Kim MJ, Lim JH, Lee SJ et-al. Correlation between the echogenicity of dysplastic nodules and their histopathologically determined fat content. J Ultrasound Med. 2003;22 (4): 327-34. J Ultrasound Med (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 13. Xu H, Kong X, Xiong Y et-al. MR features of regenerative nodules and dysplastic nodules in the cirrhotic liver. J. Huazhong Univ. Sci. Technol. Med. Sci. 2005;25 (5): 601-3. - Pubmed citation