Dysplastic liver nodules
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
Dysplastic liver nodules are focal nodular regions (≥1 mm) without definite evidence of malignancy.
They have been found in cirrhotic patients with a prevalence of 14% (size >1.0 cm) to 37% (size >0.5 cm) 2.
- nuclear atypia
- increased fat or glycogen in the cluster of dysplastic cells
They are broadly divided depending on the presence of cytologic and architectural atypia 2,4:
- low-grade: resemble regenerative nodule
- high-grade: resemble well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)
- atypia is insufficient to establish a diagnosis of HCC
- may exhibit clone-like features
Cirrhotic changes are present but the nodules may not be visualized on ultrasound. A few cases have shown hypo- and hyperechoic nodules and the echogenicity relates to the fat content in the nodule.
Usually hypoattenuating, however, they may be iso- or hyperattenuating to the hepatic parenchyma.
- multiphase contrasted images: they may show early arterial uptake but the contrast does not wash out on delayed phase (unlike HCC)
- T1: although the signal intensity may vary broadly, most of them have high T1 signal
- IP-OOP: shows fat accumulation characterized by signal drop on the out-of-phase sequence
- T2: iso- to hypointense
- DWI: no restricted diffusion
- T1 C+ (Gd)
- high-grade nodules show early contrast enhancement without washout on delayed phase
T2* C+ (SPIO)
- low-grade nodules appear hypointense 13
Treatment and prognosis
They are considered premalignant and hence follow-up is necessary. Percutaneous ablation therapy can be considered 9.
- 1. Choi BI, Han JK, Hong SH et-al. Dysplastic nodules of the liver: imaging findings. Abdom Imaging. 24 (3): 250-7. Abdom Imaging (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Lim JH, Cho JM, Kim EY et-al. Dysplastic nodules in liver cirrhosis: evaluation of hemodynamics with CT during arterial portography and CT hepatic arteriography. Radiology. 2000;214 (3): 869-74. Radiology (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Krinsky GA, Theise ND, Rofsky NM et-al. Dysplastic nodules in cirrhotic liver: arterial phase enhancement at CT and MR imaging--a case report. Radiology. 1998;209 (2): 461-4. Radiology (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Hussain SM, Zondervan PE, Ijzermans JN et-al. Benign versus malignant hepatic nodules: MR imaging findings with pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 22 (5): 1023-36. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Kawamoto S, Soyer PA, Fishman EK et-al. Nonneoplastic liver disease: evaluation with CT and MR imaging. Radiographics. 18 (4): 827-48. Radiographics (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 6. Wu TT, Boitnott J. Dysplastic nodules: a new term for premalignant hepatic nodular lesions. Radiology. 1996;201 (1): 21-2. Radiology (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Kim CK, Lim JH, Lee WJ. Detection of hepatocellular carcinomas and dysplastic nodules in cirrhotic liver: accuracy of ultrasonography in transplant patients. J Ultrasound Med. 2001;20 (2): 99-104. J Ultrasound Med (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 8. Giorgio A, Calisti G, Di sarno A et-al. Characterization of dysplastic nodules, early hepatocellular carcinoma and progressed hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis with contrast-enhanced ultrasound. Anticancer Res. 2011;31 (11): 3977-82. Anticancer Res. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 9. Lim JH, Kim MJ, Park CK et-al. Dysplastic nodules in liver cirrhosis: detection with triple phase helical dynamic CT. Br J Radiol. 2004;77 (923): 911-6. doi:10.1259/bjr/56713551 - Pubmed citation
- 10. Kim CK, Lim JH, Lee WJ. Detection of hepatocellular carcinomas and dysplastic nodules in cirrhotic liver: accuracy of ultrasonography in transplant patients. J Ultrasound Med. 2001;20 (2): 99-104. J Ultrasound Med (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 11. Bennett GL, Krinsky GA, Abitbol RJ et-al. Sonographic detection of hepatocellular carcinoma and dysplastic nodules in cirrhosis: correlation of pretransplantation sonography and liver explant pathology in 200 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;179 (1): 75-80. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 12. Kim MJ, Lim JH, Lee SJ et-al. Correlation between the echogenicity of dysplastic nodules and their histopathologically determined fat content. J Ultrasound Med. 2003;22 (4): 327-34. J Ultrasound Med (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 13. Xu H, Kong X, Xiong Y et-al. MR features of regenerative nodules and dysplastic nodules in the cirrhotic liver. J. Huazhong Univ. Sci. Technol. Med. Sci. 2005;25 (5): 601-3. - Pubmed citation