Follicular lymphoma is the most common subtype of non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)
Estimated to account for ~45% of all NHL cases 1. Higher rates in North America and Europe 4.
Nodal effacement by closely packed follicles containing small cleaved cells without nucleoli (centrocytes) and larger non-cleaved cells with moderate cytoplasm, open chromatin and multiple nucleoli (centroblasts).
Follicular lymphoma is categorised into grades according to the number of centroblasts per high-power fields (HPF) as follows5:
- grade 1: 0-5 centroblasts per HPF
- grade 2: 6-15 centroblasts per HPF
- grade 3: >15 centroblasts per HPF
- CD10: positive
- CD5: negative
- CD20: positive
Translocation t(14;18) is found in the majority of patients with follicular lymphoma.
Treatment and prognosis
It is often indolent yet incurable with a high prevalence of residual mass post-treatment 2.
Transformation to a more aggressive type of NHL.
- 1. Oh YK, Ha CS, Samuels BI et-al. Stages I-III follicular lymphoma: role of CT of the abdomen and pelvis in follow-up studies. Radiology. 1999;210 (2): 483-6. Radiology (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Hayashi D, Lee JC, Devenney-cakir B et-al. Follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Clin Radiol. 2010;65 (5): 408-20. doi:10.1016/j.crad.2010.01.010 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Mena LM, Setoain X, Abrisqueta P et-al. Histological transformation of follicular lymphoma after treatment: a case evaluated with PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med. 2009;34 (11): 793-4. doi:10.1097/RLU.0b013e3181b7d6f4 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Ann. Oncol. 2011;22 (Supplement 4): 2536. doi:10.1093/annonc/mdr479 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Young NA. Grading follicular lymphoma on fine-needle aspiration specimens-a practical approach. Cancer. 2006;108 (1): 1-9. doi:10.1002/cncr.21350 - Pubmed citation
- overview of lymphoma
WHO classification of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues
- Hodgkin lymphoma
- mature B-cell lymphoma
- mature T-cell and NK-cell lymphoma
- post-transplant lymphoproliferative/lymphoproliferation disorders
- location-specific lymphomas
- central nervous system
- head and neck lymphoma
- thoracic lymphoma
- gastrointestinal lymphoma
- hepatobiliary lymphoma
- genitourinary lymphoma
- musculoskeletal lymphoma
- cutaneous lymphoma
- lymphoma staging