Oblique popliteal ligament
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Joachim Feger had no recorded disclosures.View Joachim Feger's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Joachim Feger had no recorded disclosures.View Joachim Feger's current disclosures
The oblique popliteal ligament (OPL) is a large ligamentous structure of the posterior knee and one of the five components of the posteromedial corner (PMC). It mainly prevents hyperextension in the knee 1-3 and in addition, it is thought to prevent excessive external rotation 1.
It is a broad, flat ligament of the posterior knee joint, overlying the posterior joint capsule with a diagonal course at an angle of ca. 30° to the knee joint 1,2. There are significant variabilities in shape as well as attachments, although main insertions and course seem to be relatively stable 1. Band-shaped, Y-shaped, Z-shaped, trident shaped and complex shaped forms have been described 1.
Medial insertions are a lateral expansion of the semimembranosus tendon 1,2,4-6 and/or the posterior margin of the posteromedial tibia and as well as the posteromedial joint capsule and the capsular arm of the posterior oblique ligament 5
- 1. Wu X, Yu J, Zou T et al. Anatomical Characteristics and Biomechanical Properties of the Oblique Popliteal Ligament. Sci Rep. 2017;7(1):42698. doi:10.1038/srep42698 - Pubmed
- 2. Fam L, Fruheling V, Pupim B et al. Oblique Popliteal Ligament – an Anatomical Study. Revista Brasileira De Ortopedia (English Edition). 2013;48(5):402-5. doi:10.1016/j.rboe.2012.07.010 - Pubmed
- 3. Morgan P, LaPrade R, Wentorf F, Cook J, Bianco A. The Role of the Oblique Popliteal Ligament and Other Structures in Preventing Knee Hyperextension. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38(3):550-7. doi:10.1177/0363546509348742 - Pubmed
- 4. LaPrade R, Morgan P, Wentorf F, Johansen S, Engebretsen L. The Anatomy of the Posterior Aspect of the Knee. An Anatomic Study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007;89(4):758-64. doi:10.2106/JBJS.F.00120 - Pubmed
- 5. Hedderwick M, Stringer M, McRedmond L, Meikle G, Woodley S. The Oblique Popliteal Ligament: An Anatomic and MRI Investigation. Surg Radiol Anat. 2017;39(9):1017-27. doi:10.1007/s00276-017-1838-7 - Pubmed
- 6. Lundquist R, Matcuk G, Schein A et al. Posteromedial Corner of the Knee: The Neglected Corner. RadioGraphics. 2015;35(4):1123-37. doi:10.1148/rg.2015140166 - Pubmed