Spermatic cord hydrocele (SCH) refers to a loculated fluid collection along the spermatic cord. It is separated from, and located above, the testis and the epididymis.
It results from aberrant closure of the processus vaginalis.
There are two recognised subtypes
- encysted hydrocele - fluid collection does not communicate with the peritoneum above or the tunica vaginalis below.
- funicular hydrocele - fluid collection communicates with the peritoneum at the internal inguinal ring but does not communicate with the tunica vaginalis
Usually seen as an oval anechoic mass in the groin along the spermatic cord, positioned above and separated from the testis and the epididymis. Typically well demarcated. Avascular on colour Doppler interrogation
Treatment and prognosis
Elective surgery may be useful in preventing development of an acquired indirect hernia 3.
It may occasionally be misdiagnosed as an inguinal hernia clinically 7.
- 1. Busigó JP, Eftekhari F. Encysted spermatic cord hydroceles: a report of three cases in adults and a review of the literature. Acta Radiol. 2007;48 (10): 1138-42. doi:10.1080/02841850701553163 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Chang YT, Lee JY, Wang JY et-al. Hydrocele of the spermatic cord in infants and children: its particular characteristics. Urology. 2010;76 (1): 82-6. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2010.02.062 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Martin LC, Share JC, Peters C et-al. Hydrocele of the spermatic cord: embryology and ultrasonographic appearance. Pediatr Radiol. 1996;26 (8): 528-30. Pubmed citation
- 4. Singh AK, Kao S, D'Alessandro M et-al. Case 164: Funicular type of spermatic cord hydrocele. Radiology. 2010;257 (3): 890-2. Radiology (full text) - doi:10.1148/radiol.10091019 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Rathaus V, Konen O, Shapiro M et-al. Ultrasound features of spermatic cord hydrocele in children. Br J Radiol. 2001;74 (885): 818-20. Br J Radiol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 6. Wani I, Rather M, Naikoo G et-al. Encysted hydrocele of cord in an adult misdiagnosed as irreducible hernia: a case report. Oman Med J. 2012;24 (3): 218-9. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 7. D M, M KT, Khan DM. Encysted Spermatic Cord Hydrocele in a 60-year-old, Mimicking Incarcerated Inguinal Hernia: A Case Report. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8 (2): 153-4. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2014/6998.4039 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation