Spindle cell carcinoma of the lung a very rare primary pulmonary malignancy. It is sometimes classified as a sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung. Some authors also use the term synonymously with pleomorphic carcinomas of the lung, while the WHO 1999 classification system places the latter as a separate entity.
Tumours usually shows a concurrent presence of malignant epithelial and homologous sarcomatoid spindle cell components by co-expressing cytokeratin and vimentin in various degrees.
We do not know of any specific imaging features specifically for this tumour. The lesion may either present as endobronchial lesions or peripheral parenchymal lesions.
- 1. Chang YL, Lee YC, Shih JY et-al. Pulmonary pleomorphic (spindle) cell carcinoma: peculiar clinicopathologic manifestations different from ordinary non-small cell carcinoma. Lung Cancer. 2001;34 (1): 91-7. Pubmed citation
- 2. Matsui K, Kitagawa M. Spindle cell carcinoma of the lung. A clinicopathologic study of three cases. Cancer. 1991;67 (9): 2361-7. Pubmed citation
- 3. Morimoto M, Osaki T, Kodate M, Nagaie T, Yamamoto H, Oya M. Spindle cell carcinoma of the lung. (2011) General thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 59 (2): 129-32. doi:10.1007/s11748-010-0607-x - Pubmed
- 4. Chu KA, Lin SL, Wang HC, Lu JY, Su JM, Chiang HT. Spindle cell carcinoma of the lung: a clinicopathologic presentation of three cases. (1998) Zhonghua yi xue za zhi = Chinese medical journal; Free China ed. 61 (3): 164-9. Pubmed
lung cancer: an overview
non-small-cell lung cancer
- pre-invasive tumours
- minimally invasive tumours
- invasive tumours
- adenosquamous carcinoma
- large cell carcinoma
- primary sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung
- squamous cell carcinoma
- salivary gland-type tumours
- pulmonary neuroendocrine tumours
- preinvasive lesions
- benign neoplasms
- pulmonary metastases
- lung cancer screening
- lung cancer staging
- non-small-cell lung cancer