Citation, DOI & article data
Subamniotic hemorrhage is considered a type of perigestational hemorrhage.
Subamniotic hematomas are classical placental pathological lesions resulting from the rupture of chorionic vessels (allanto-chorionic vessels) close to the cord insertion.
A subamniotic hemorrhage is contained within amnion and chorion and thus extends anteriorly to placenta but is limited by the reflection of amnion on placental insertion site of the umbilical cord.
Most subamniotic hematomas are found after birth and result from excessive traction on the umbilical cord at delivery.
They may sonographically be detected as a solid mass (recent) or poorly reflective oval-shaped predominantly cystic mass (chronic), overlying the fetal plate of the placenta and covered in a thin membrane, adjacent to the cord insertion 4.
- placental cyst
- placental cotyledon
- large umbilical cord cyst near the site of cord insertion
- 1. Trop I, Levine D. Hemorrhage during pregnancy: sonography and MR imaging. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001;176 (3): 607-15. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Shukunami K, Orisaka M, Orisaka S et-al. A subamniotic hematoma resembling a deflated balloon. J. Matern. Fetal. Neonatal. Med. 2004;16 (6): 373-5. doi:10.1080/14767050400019351 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Van den bosch T, Van schoubroeck D, Cornelis A et-al. Prenatal diagnosis of a subamniotic hematoma. Fetal. Diagn. Ther. 15 (1): 32-5. Fetal. Diagn. Ther. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Deans A, Jauniaux E. Prenatal diagnosis and outcome of subamniotic hematomas. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1998;11 (5): 319-23. doi:10.1046/j.1469-0705.1998.11050319.x - Pubmed citation
- 5. Bhargava. Principles and Practice of Ultrasonography. Jaypee Brothers Publishers. (2002) ISBN:8171798772. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Windrim C, Athaide G, Gerster T et-al. Sonographic findings and clinical outcomes in women with massive subchorionic hematoma detected in the second trimester. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2011;33 (5): 475-9. - Pubmed citation