Mauclaire disease is a rare disease and refers to osteonecrosis of the metacarpal heads, which usually appears between ages of 13 and 18 years. This condition may lead to early closure of epiphyseal growth plate and growth disturbance of the involved finger.
The aetiology is controversial. Few reports describe the association with trauma, steroid use and systemic lupus erythematosus.
Localized pain, swelling and restricted range of motion in the affected metacarpophalengeal joint are the main clinical presentations.
In plain radiography of the hand flattening of the metacarpal heads , widening of the joint space and signs of deforming osteoarthritis may seen at initial images.
Osteochondral fragments and periostitis with cortical thickening of the metaphyses are characteristic.
History and etymology
It was first described by Mauclaire in 1927.
- 1. Erne HC, Lanz U, Van Schoonhoven J et-al. [Aseptic osteonecrosis of the head of the metacarpal (Mauclaire's disease)-case report and review of the literature]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2008;40 (03): 207-10. doi:10.1055/s-2008-1038752 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Green DP. Mauclaire's disease. J Hand Surg Am. 2011;36 (4): 757. doi:10.1016/j.jhsa.2011.01.034 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Rossi F, Iscaro D, Pincelli G et-al. [Mauclaire's disease: isolated juvenile osteochondrosis of ossification nuclei from the metacarpal head. Contribution of a case and review of the literature]. Radiol Med. 1986;71 (6): 437-9. Pubmed citation
- 4. Hu MH, Chen WC, Chang CH. Idiopathic osteonecrosis of the third metacarpal head. J. Formos. Med. Assoc. 2008;107 (1): 89-92. doi:10.1016/S0929-6646(08)60014-5 - Pubmed citation
- 5. BjöRkman A, JöRgsholm P, Burtscher IM. Osteonecrosis of the metacarpal head in a patient with a prothrombin 20210A gene mutation. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2005;39 (6): 379-81. doi:10.1080/02844310500228209 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Sagar P, Shailam R, Nimkin K. Avascular necrosis of the metacarpal head: a report of two cases and review of literature. Pediatr Radiol. 2010;40 (12): 1895-901. Pediatr Radiol (full text) - doi:10.1007/s00247-010-1763-y - Pubmed citation
- 7. Schmitt R, Lanz U. Diagnostic Imaging of the Hand. Thieme. (2008) ISBN:1588904539. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon