The goal of a peroral pneumocolon is to create a double contrast study (oral contrast and gas) of the ascending colon and terminal ileum. The double contrast approach allows the radiologist to better assess the mucosa of these segments of bowel, which may be important for evaluating inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn disease).
- small calibre paediatric enema tip with normal handheld bulb insufflator
- some prefer carbon dioxide (CO2) insufflation
- patient undergoes normal NPO at midnight for a small bowel follow through study:
- some groups prefer bowel prep the day before, similar to that for a barium enema
- small bowel follow through is performed
- when the contrast reaches the terminal ileum:
- double contrast images of the ascending colon and terminal ileum are acquired