It is worth noting that some authors 5,6 use the term renal lymphangiectasia interchangeably. It is likely that true renal lymphangiectasia is a separate and rare disorder, and is thus discussed separately.
Renal sinus cysts are benign. They can be subdivided into
- parapelvic cysts: originate from the adjacent parenchyma and protrude into the renal sinus
- peripelvic cysts: originate within the sinus itself and have a lymphatic origin
These are simple renal cysts that plunge into the renal sinus from the adjacent renal parenchyma. They are usually single or few and resemble simple renal cortical cyst in morphology. A parapelvic cyst at times may cause compression of the pelvicalyceal system resulting in hydronephrosis. They may also mimic hydronephrosis, termed pseudohydronephrosis.
These are frequently bilateral. They appear as fluid-density cysts closely abutting the pelvis and infundibula, rarely cause functional renal derangement by compression. When followed up they remain unchanged in size. They may be confused with hydronephrosis on NECT and ultrasonography, but on CECT the differentiation is obvious.
Renal sinus cysts can mimic hydronephrosis but CT IVP studies will demonstrate a normal or narrowed/stretched/displaced (but not dilated) collecting system.
- 1. Cronan JJ, Amis ES, Yoder IC et-al. Peripelvic cysts: an impostor of sonographic hydronephrosis. J Ultrasound Med. 1982;1 (6): 229-36. J Ultrasound Med (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Rha SE, Byun JY, Jung SE et-al. The renal sinus: pathologic spectrum and multimodality imaging approach. Radiographics. 2004;24 Suppl 1 : S117-31. doi:10.1148/rg.24si045503 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Yoon YD, Byun JY, Jee WH, et al. Imaging Diagnosis in Various Renal Sinus Lesion. J Korean Radiol Soc. 1997 Sep;37(3):509-514. https://doi.org/10.3348/jkrs.19188.8.131.529
- 4. Nahm AM, Ritz E. The renal sinus cyst-the great imitator. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 2000;15 (6): 913-4. doi:10.1093/ndt/15.6.913 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Dähnert W. Radiology Review Manual. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2011) ISBN:1609139437. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Silverman SG, Cohan RH. CT urography, an atlas. Philadelphia, PA : Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, c2007. (2006) ISBN:0781787548. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon