Perforated ileum with collections in Crohn disease
Citation, DOI & case data
Right iliac fossa pain
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Large ileocolic collection containing fluid and gas in the right iliac fossa, abutting the inflamed terminal ileum. It has a well-defined wall with thickening and enhancement and measures 10.6 x 6.8 x 8.7 cm, displacing the inflamed ileum superiorly and posteriorly. The anterior and lateral borders abut the abdominal wall, with no intervening bowel loop suggesting percutaneous drainage would be feasible.
Multiple smaller collections with enhancing walls:
- on the medial aspect of the inflamed terminal ileum, an adjacent collection measures 1.6 x 2.7 cm.
- semilunar shaped right pelvic collection measures 4.2 x 2.3 cm and appears to communicate with the larger right iliac fossa collection more superiorly.
- a small left iliac fossa collection anterior to the external iliac vessels measuring 2.0 x 2.8 cm. Adjacent sigmoid colonic bowel thickening suggests either reactive colitis or an inflammatory skip lesion.
No bowel dilatation.
Retroperitoneal edema and fat stranding is noted, particularly surrounding the psoas muscles. Small amount of intraperitoneal fluid surrounding the liver and spleen. Cholelithiasis. No sacroilitis.
This patient had been diagnosed with Crohn disease 2 years prior and had been slowly non-compliant with meds in the preceeding 2 months before this presentation.
After 6 weeks in hospital treated with IV ABs and multiple image-guided percutaneous collection drainages, the patient recovered and was discharged.
IBD has an increased risk of gallstones.
33 public playlists include this case
- kejsy #1 (part 10) by Lech Gradziński
- abdomen- Dr ferreiro by Antonio Ferreiro Perez
- Body by Naveed Ahmad ◉
- Bowel by Mohammed Ahmed Fahmy
- Abdo - Adult Clinical Conditions - GI by Charlie Handley
- Abdomen by Tamer Ghorab
- nezar GIT by nezar shlaka
- FRCR 2B AMR SAADAWY (part 10) (part 1) by Amr Saadawy
- Amazingly Explained by Francisco Samson Cajal
- av frcr 9 by Avni K P Skandhan ◉
- GIT by Mohammad Farghali Ali Tosson
- Small bowel pathology by Peneoasu Cristian
- Thirsty Birds - GI by SM ◉
- P2 - Abdomen by Sachintha Hapugoda ◉
- Crohn hastalığında koleksiyonlu delikli ileum by Mehmet
- GI tract prokop by Stefan Teodoru-Saman
- Small bowel by Timothy Jeffery
- 2b set 2 by Amoolya Mannava
- Exam cases (part 7) (part 1) by Noura Alraeesi
- GI by Viridiana Echegaray Knight
- git by Maimoona murad khan
- urgente by Popovici Alexandra
- bowel by simranjit bawa
- GI for FRCR by Iffat Rehman
- Abdomen by N Seth
- frcr long set 11 by yosra mukhtar elkhatem
- EED Jejuno e íleo by Rodrigo Fernandes Schmitz
- GI2 ST1 by Richard Andrew Jenkins
- FRCR misc by Eman Mansour
- frcr by shaaban omar
- tiêu hóa 2 by Phạm Thị Thùy Linh
- UQ Radiology video tutorial: Abdo: Enteritis by Craig Hacking ◉ ◈
- Dúvida by Gabriel Chun