Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Calum Worsley had no recorded disclosures.View Calum Worsley's current disclosures
Organizing pneumonia (OP) refers to a clinicopathological entity which is associated with non-specific clinical findings, radiographic findings, and pulmonary function test (PFT) results.
When an underlying cause is unknown it is classified as cryptogenic organizing pneumonia (COP; also referred to as primary organizing pneumonia) whereas if a cause is known it is then termed a secondary organizing pneumonia.
Most cases of organizing pneumonia (50-70%) are classified as cryptogenic 5,6.
Organizing pneumonia comprises a histological pattern characterized by granulation tissue polyps within alveolar ducts and alveoli and with chronic inflammation involving the adjacent lung parenchyma.
Treatment and prognosis
Most (especially cryptogenic forms) respond very well to corticosteroid treatment; however, a small percentage of patients may develop progressive fibrosis - fibrosing organizing pneumonia 7.
- 1. Faria I, Zanetti G, Barreto M et al. Organizing Pneumonia: Chest HRCT Findings. J Bras Pneumol. 2015;41(3):231-7. doi:10.1590/S1806-37132015000004544 - Pubmed
- 2. Lohr R, Boland B, Douglas W et al. Organizing Pneumonia. Features and Prognosis of Cryptogenic, Secondary, and Focal Variants. Arch Intern Med. 1997;157(12):1323-9. doi:10.1001/archinte.157.12.1323 - Pubmed
- 3. Ujita M, Renzoni E, Veeraraghavan S, Wells A, Hansell D. Organizing Pneumonia: Perilobular Pattern at Thin-Section CT. Radiology. 2004;232(3):757-61. doi:10.1148/radiol.2323031059 - Pubmed
- 4. Polverosi R, Maffesanti M, Dalpiaz G. Organizing Pneumonia: Typical and Atypical HRCT Patterns. Radiol Med. 2006;111(2):202-12. doi:10.1007/s11547-006-0021-8 - Pubmed
- 5. Gudmundsson G, Sveinsson O, Isaksson H, Jonsson S, Frodadottir H, Aspelund T. Epidemiology of Organising Pneumonia in Iceland. Thorax. 2006;61(9):805-8. doi:10.1136/thx.2006.059469 - Pubmed
- 6. Cazzato S, Zompatori M, Baruzzi G et al. Bronchiolitis Obliterans-Organizing Pneumonia: An Italian Experience. Respir Med. 2000;94(7):702-8. doi:10.1053/rmed.2000.0805 - Pubmed
- 7. Beardsley B & Rassl D. Fibrosing Organising Pneumonia. J Clin Pathol. 2013;66(10):875-81. doi:10.1136/jclinpath-2012-201342 - Pubmed