Terrible triad of the elbow
The terrible triad of the elbow is a severe elbow fracture-dislocation pattern and is so-called because it has poor medium-to-long term outcome.
Most commonly due to a fall onto an outstretched hand, not necessarily high-energy, with the arm in semi-flexion and supination 3.
The terrible triad of the elbow is the association of 1-2:
- 1. Mathew PK, Athwal GS, King GJ. Terrible triad injury of the elbow: current concepts. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2009;17 (3): 137-51. J Am Acad Orthop Surg (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Dines DM, Lorich D, Helfet D. Solutions for Complex Upper Extremity Trauma. Thieme Medical Pub. (2008) ISBN:1588905047. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. Seijas R, Ares-Rodriguez O, Orellana A et-al. Terrible triad of the elbow. J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2010;17 (3): 335-9. Pubmed citation
- elbow anatomy
- elbow radiography
- MRI of the elbow - an approach
- distal humeral fracture
- Panner disease (osteochondrosis of the capitellum)