Haematometrocolpos refers to a blood filled distended uterus and vagina.
The estimated incidence in teenagers is at ~1 in 1000-2000 5.
- may show a distended midline cystic structure between the bladder and the rectum
- internal echotexture can be variable; often low-level echoes may be seen
- associated hydrosalpinx may be seen
- associated mullerian malformations such as mullerian agenesis, obstructing vaginal septa, unicornuate uterus, bicornuate uterus, uterus didelphys and septated uterus should be looked for
- examination of the kidneys should be performed to screen for obvious associated urological tract malformation.
If large enough it can cause:
- obstruction of regional lymph drainage
- obstructive hydronephrosis
- 1. Steinkeler JA, Woodfield CA, Lazarus E et-al. Female infertility: a systematic approach to radiologic imaging and diagnosis. Radiographics. 29 (5): 1353-70. doi:10.1148/rg.295095047 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Levsky JM, Mondshine RT. On the AJR viewbox. Hematometrocolpos due to imperforate hymen in a patient with bicornuate uterus. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006;186 (5): 1469-70. doi:10.2214/AJR.05.0907 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Ali GM, Kordorff R, Franke D. Ultrasound volumetry in hematometrocolpos. J Clin Ultrasound. 1989;17 (4): 257-9. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Fields SI, Katz S, Beyth Y. Computed tomography of unilateral hematometrocolpos. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 12 (3): 530-1. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Bluth EI. Ultrasound, a practical approach to clinical problems. Thieme Publishing Group. (2008) ISBN:3131168323. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Middleton WD, Kurtz AB, Hertzberg BS. Ultrasound, the requisites. Mosby Inc. (2004) ISBN:0323017029. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 7. Eurorad teaching files : Case 6221
- 8. Drakonaki EE, Tritou I, Pitsoulis G et-al. Hematocolpometra due to an imperforate hymen presenting with back pain: sonographic diagnosis. J Ultrasound Med. 2010;29 (2): 321-2. Pubmed citation