Littoral cell angioma of the spleen
Littoral cell angioma of the spleen (LCA) is a rare and relatively recently (1991) described vascular tumour of the spleen.
Littoral cell angiomas may occur at any age and have no gender predilection.
Typically, patients with littoral cell angioma are found to have a splenic abnormality when they are being evaluated for laboratory evidence of anaemia or thrombocytopaenia.
Reported associations include:
Ultrasound, CT, and MR images usually demonstrate splenomegaly and multiple lesions of similar size and appearance.
Treatment and prognosis
As most patients are symptomatic from anaemia and thrmobocytopaenia and because imaging findings are nonspecific, splenectomy is usually performed for definitive histological diagnosis and treatment. At present biologic behaviour has not been firmly established.
The differential is essentially that of multiple splenic lesions.
- normal appearance of the spleen
- pseudolesion of the spleen: inhomogeneous splenic enhancement
splenic lesions and anomalies
- congenital anomalies
- mass lesions
- infiltrative processes
- incidental splenic lesion (approach)
- 1. Abbott RM, Levy AD, Aguilera NS et-al. From the archives of the AFIP: primary vascular neoplasms of the spleen: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 24 (4): 1137-63. doi:10.1148/rg.244045006 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Levy AD, Abbott RM, Abbondanzo SL. Littoral cell angioma of the spleen: CT features with clinicopathologic comparison. Radiology. 2004;230 (2): 485-90. doi:10.1148/radiol.2302030196 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Grantham M, Einstein D, Mccarron K et-al. Littoral cell angioma of the spleen. Abdom Imaging. 23 (6): 633-5. Abdom Imaging (link) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Cheng SP, Yang TL, Chen BF et-al. Image of the month. Littoral cell angioma. Arch Surg. 2005;140 (11): 1127-8. doi:10.1001/archsurg.140.11.1127-a - Pubmed citation
- 5. Abbott RM, Levy AD, Aguilera NS et-al. From the archives of the AFIP: primary vascular neoplasms of the spleen: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 24 (4): 1137-63. doi:10.1148/rg.244045006 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Goldfeld M, Cohen I, Loberant N et-al. Littoral cell angioma of the spleen: appearance on sonography and CT. J Clin Ultrasound. 2002;30 (8): 510-3. doi:10.1002/jcu.10101 - Pubmed citation