The differential for a single pleural mass is essentially the same as that for multiple pleural masses with the addition of a few entities.
- pleural tumours
- metastatic pleural disease, particularly from adenocarcinomas, e.g.
- lymphoma: pleural lymphoma
- invasive thymoma
- loculated fluid (on plain film)
- mass related to ribs or chest wall, e.g. Ewing sarcoma of chest wall, Askin tumour
- mass related to the intercostal nerve
- splenosis - thoracic splenosis
- infection including tuberculosis
- 1. Reeder MM, Bradley WG. Reeder and Felson's gamuts in radiology, comprehensive lists of roentgen differential diagnosis. Springer. (2003) ISBN:0387955887. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Naidich DP, Srichai MB, Krinsky GA. Computed tomography and magnetic resonance of the thorax. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2007) ISBN:0781757657. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon