Feeding artery sign (endometrial polyp)
Citation, DOI & article data
Feeding artery sign (a.k.a. pedicle artery sign) refers to the presence of a single feeding artery to endometrial lesion using color/power Doppler on ultrasonography. It is often seen in endometrial polyps 1. The feeding vessel indicates the stalk attachment of the polyp to the uterus.
Endometrial polyps may be isoechoic and sometimes hard to detect on B-mode ultrasound. The application of color/power Doppler shows the presence of a prominent feeding artery that confirms the diagnosis of endometrial polyp and aids in its detection even in asymptomatic patients 1.
The presence of a vascular pedicle is 76% sensitive and 95% specific for endometrial polyps 2.
Submucosal fibroid may show a rim-like vessel pattern, with a surrounding circular or semicircular vessel, or with a few small scattered accompanying vessels 3.
- 1. Jakab A, Ovári L, Juhász B, Birinyi L, Bacskó G, Tóth Z. Detection of Feeding Artery Improves the Ultrasound Diagnosis of Endometrial Polyps in Asymptomatic Patients. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005;119(1):103-7. doi:10.1016/j.ejogrb.2004.06.044 - Pubmed
- 2. Gupta A, Desai A, Bhatt S. Imaging of the Endometrium: Physiologic Changes and Diseases: Women's Imaging. Radiographics. 2017;37(7):2206-7. doi:10.1148/rg.2017170008 - Pubmed
- 3. Cil A, Tulunay G, Kose M, Haberal A. Power Doppler Properties of Endometrial Polyps and Submucosal Fibroids: A Preliminary Observational Study in Women with Known Intracavitary Lesions. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2010;35(2):233-7. doi:10.1002/uog.7470 - Pubmed
- 4. Fleischer A & Shappell H. Color Doppler Sonohysterography of Endometrial Polyps and Submucosal Fibroids. J Ultrasound Med. 2003;22(6):601-4. doi:10.7863/jum.2003.22.6.601 - Pubmed
- 5. Amreen S, Singh M, Choh N, Saldanha C, Gojwari T. Doppler Evaluation of Endometrial Polyps. The Egyptian Journal of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine. 2018;49(3):850-3. doi:10.1016/j.ejrnm.2018.03.005