Sentinel lymph node
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Subhan Iqbal had no recorded disclosures.View Subhan Iqbal's current disclosures
The sentinel lymph nodes (SLNs) are defined as those lymph nodes that directly drain a malignancy, or alternatively can be considered as the first node(s) that a tumor metastasizes to.
History and etymology
"Sentinel node" as the initial draining node of a malignancy was first used in a paper written in 1960 about parotid malignancies by American general surgeon Ernest A Gould (1913-1981 5) et al 4. No further development of this concept happened until the seminal study of penile carcinoma published in 1977 by American general surgeon Ramón M Cabañas (fl. 2020) 1,3.
Sentinel refers to somebody on guard, and therefore has been adopted for the lymph node that stands guard over a cancer. It is from the Italian sentinella, meaning 'to sense or watch' 6.
- 1. Gary J.R Cook, M. N Maisey, K.E Britton, Vaseem Chengazi. Clinical Nuclear Medicine Fourth Edition. (2006) ISBN: 9780340812396
- 2. Ma MW, Medicherla RC, Qian M, Vega-Saenz de Miera E, Friedman EB, Berman RS, Shapiro RL, Pavlick AC, Ott PA, Bhardwaj N, Shao Y, Osman I, Darvishian F. Immune response in melanoma: an in-depth analysis of the primary tumor and corresponding sentinel lymph node. (2012) Modern pathology : an official journal of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Inc. 25 (7): 1000-10. doi:10.1038/modpathol.2012.43 - Pubmed
- 3. Cabanas RM. An approach for the treatment of penile carcinoma. (1977) Cancer. 39 (2): 456-66. Pubmed
- 4. GOULD EA, WINSHIP T, PHILBIN PH, KERR HH. Observations on a "sentinel node" in cancer of the parotid. (1960) Cancer. 13: 77-8. Pubmed
- 5. Dr. Ernest Gould, of Hospital Center. washingtonpost.com https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1981/07/15/dr-ernest-gould-of-hospital-center/5ac2353c-2e41-49f6-9af6-39f2467f8b22/?utm_term=.eb900514d0b0 [accessed December 18th 2018].
- 6. Chambers of Editors, Chambers. The Chambers Dictionary. (2014) ISBN: 9781473602250
- 7. Nahum U, Nahum SC, Nahum vNuP, Nahum PS, Nahum HS, Nahum CP, Nahum. Sentinel lymph node fingerprinting. (2019) Physics in medicine and biology. doi:10.1088/1361-6560/ab177d - Pubmed