Factitious hyperthyroidism or thyrotoxicosis factitia refers to precipitation of thyrotoxicosis due to exogenous ingestion of thyroid hormone (e.g. levothyroxine). It has been rarely associated with myocardial ischaemia 2.
The hypervascularity which is seen with other hyperthyroid conditions such as Graves disease are typically absent 1.
- 1. Bogazzi F, Bartalena L, Vitti P et-al. Color flow Doppler sonography in thyrotoxicosis factitia. J. Endocrinol. Invest. 1997;19 (9): 603-6. Pubmed citation
- 2. Locker GJ, Kotzmann H, Frey B et-al. Factitious hyperthyroidism causing acute myocardial infarction. Thyroid. 1996;5 (6): 465-7. Pubmed citation
- 3. Pearce CJ, Himsworth RL. Thyrotoxicosis factitia. N. Engl. J. Med. 1982;307 (27): 1708-9. doi:10.1056/NEJM198212303072715 - Pubmed citation
- thyroid inflammatory disease
- thyroid neoplasms
- thyroid nodules
- assessment of thyroid lesions
- postoperative assessment after thyroid cancer surgery
- ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of the thyroid