Interstitial lung disease associated with primary biliary cholangitis
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised David Luong had no recorded disclosures.View David Luong's current disclosures
Interstitial lung disease associated with primary biliary cholangitis can occur in a variable pattern that can include 1:
- pulmonary fibrosis
- lymphoid interstitial pneumonia
- non-specific interstitial pneumonia
- bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia
It may occur in approximately 15% of patients with primary biliary cholangitis 2.
There may be a higher predilection in older patients and in those with an elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR). Concomitant presence of Sjögren syndrome can considerably increase the risk of interstitial lung disease.
- 1. Koksal D, Koksal A, Gurakar A. Pulmonary Manifestations Among Patients with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. J Clin Transl Hepatol. 2016;4(3):258-62. doi:10.14218/JCTH.2016.00024 - Pubmed
- 2. Shen M, Zhang F, Zhang X. Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Complicated with Interstitial Lung Disease: A Prospective Study in 178 Patients. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2009;43(7):676-9. doi:10.1097/MCG.0b013e31818aa11e - Pubmed
- 3. Victoria Sholomova, Larisa Akulkina, Michael Brovko et al. Lung Involvement in Primary Biliary Cholangitis (PBC). European Respiratory Journal. 2020;56(suppl 64). doi:10.1183/13993003.congress-2020.3397
- 4. Bartosiewicz M, Siemion-Szcześniak I, Jędrych M et al. [Interstitial Lung Disease in Patients with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis]. Pneumonol Alergol Pol. 2012;80(5):471-81. - Pubmed