Chronic extradural hemorrhage
Citation, DOI, disclosures and case data
At the time the case was submitted for publication Varun Tyagi had no recorded disclosures.View Varun Tyagi's current disclosures
Mother claims the child fell 15 to 18 days ago. No imaging was done after the fall. Now complaints of persistent swelling at the left side of the head. No neurological deficit or other symptoms.
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Well defined biconvex heterogeneous collection noted (HU 25 to 50) (approximately 40 x 8 x 30 mm Vol: 5 cc) along the left parietal convexity with hyperdense membrane seen suggestive of chronic extradural hemorrhage with an underlying parietal bone fracture. Evidence of subgaleal hematoma over the left parietal convexity.
1 case question available
Heterogeneous or decreased attenuation and a hyperdense membrane are characteristics of a chronic extradural hemorrhage (EDH) as a result of degradation of the blood products. Timing wise, chronic EDH are typically considered >21 days from injury. Chronic EDH may also show peripheral enhancement representing dura and membrane formation between the EDH and adjacent brain parenchyma.
The differential diagnosis is subacute EDH, which may be differentiated from chronic EDH by its characteristic homogeneously hyperdense attenuation, consisting of a solid blood clot. Timing wise, subacute EDH are typically considered 4-21 days from injury.
There is some discrepancy between the history and imaging features, and perhaps the estimation since time of injury is inaccurate.
- Haaga JR, Boll D. CT and MRI of the whole body. Mosby. (2009) ISBN:0323053750. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
18 public playlists include this case
- ICRF: 7 Paediatric- Neuro- Trauma by RAB Five
- CT Cerebrum by Erik Wrange
- NR2-P2 by tuanleminh ◉
- 5. Paediatric. Neuro- Trauma by RAB Five
- Call Prep Cases by Catherine (Rin) Panick
- STUDENTS by Gregory Makris
- CT Cases by Ahmad Nakdali
- Extradural hemorrhage by Sherif Mohsen
- TRA 1 by HoangHuong
- Neuro by Alvaro Zuñiga Gutierrez
- Neuro (part 2) (part 1) by Taimur
- Trauma-P1 by tuanleminh ◉
- Brain CT by THOMAS GEORGE
- NRAD by Johann Jende
- CABEZA by Mario Soto Dien
- Neuro-Trauma by John Pereira
- Trauma_PFJ by Pedro Jorge
- Neuro call by Matthew Onimus