Taylor dysplasia is a type of focal cortical dysplasia and a common cause of refractory epilepsy. Under both the Palmini classification and the more recent Blumcke classification of focal cortical dysplasia, Taylor dysplasia is classified as type II.
For further discussion of the radiographic features please refer to the parent article: focal cortical dysplasia.
Taylor dysplasia is determined histologically due to the presence of certain features such as giant neurones, dysmorphic neurons with or without balloon cells 4,7. The latter further divides FCDT into two main subtypes 2,7.
- type IIa: no balloon cells
- type IIb: balloon cells present
History and etymology
Taylor dysplasia is named after David C. Taylor, a British psychiatrist who first described it in 1971 5.
- 2. Lawson JA, Birchansky S, Pacheco E et-al. Distinct clinicopathologic subtypes of cortical dysplasia of Taylor. Neurology. 2005;64 (1): 55-61. doi:10.1212/01.WNL.0000148647.55705.A3 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Abdel razek AA, Kandell AY, Elsorogy LG et-al. Disorders of cortical formation: MR imaging features. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2009;30 (1): 4-11. doi:10.3174/ajnr.A1223 - Pubmed citation
- 1. Bronen RA, Vives KP, Kim JH et-al. Focal cortical dysplasia of Taylor, balloon cell subtype: MR differentiation from low-grade tumors. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 18 (6): 1141-51. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Tassi L, Colombo N, Garbelli R et-al. Focal cortical dysplasia: neuropathological subtypes, EEG, neuroimaging and surgical outcome. Brain. 2002;125 (Pt): 1719-32. doi:10.1093/brain/awf175 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Taylor DC, Falconer MA, Bruton CJ et-al. Focal dysplasia of the cerebral cortex in epilepsy. J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatr. 1971;34 (4): 369-87. doi:10.1136/jnnp.34.4.369 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 6. Colombo N, Tassi L, Galli C et-al. Focal cortical dysplasias: MR imaging, histopathologic, and clinical correlations in surgically treated patients with epilepsy. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003;24 (4): 724-33. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Vazquez E, Mayolas N. Developmental abnormalities of temporal lobe in children. Semin. Ultrasound CT MR. 2008;29 (1): 15-39. - Pubmed citation