Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma (SNUC) is a rare and highly aggressive neoplasm arising in the paranasal sinuses. It has recently been characterised as a distinct pathologic entity.
Tumours tend to be rather advanced at presentation.
Tumours usually tend to be large at presentation, with poorly defined margins. Most arise within the ethmoid sinuses and superior nasal cavity. Aggressive features such as bone destruction may be seen.
CECT: tumours tend to enhance in varying degrees.
Reported signal characteristics include 4
- T1: tend to be isointense to muscle
- T2: iso- to hyperintense on T2-weighted images in five patients
- T1 (C+) Gd: tend to have heterogeneous enhancement
Treatment and prognosis
The prognosis for patients with SNUC is considered poor. Most centres may opt for varying degrees of craniofacial resection combined with adjuvant radiotherapy +/- chemotherapy.
On imaging, it is almost impossible to differentiate from other tumours in this region with the possible exception of sinonasal mucosal melanoma 4.
- inflammatory and infective conditions
- granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener granulomatosis)
- paranasal sinus mucocoele
- silent sinus syndrome
- masses and neoplasms
- fibrous-osseous lesions
- 1. Pitman KT, Costantino PD, Lassen LF. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: current trends in treatment. Skull Base Surg. 2011;5 (4): 269-72. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Righi PD, Francis F, Aron BS et-al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: a 10-year experience. Am J Otolaryngol. 1996;17 (3): 167-71. Pubmed citation
- 3. Gorelick J, Ross D, Marentette L et-al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: case series and review of the literature. Neurosurgery. 2001;47 (3): 750-4. Pubmed citation
- 4. Phillips CD, Futterer SF, Lipper MH et-al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: CT and MR imaging of an uncommon neoplasm of the nasal cavity. Radiology. 1997;202 (2): 477-80. doi:10.1148/radiology.202.2.9015077 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Mendenhall WM, Mendenhall CM, Riggs CE et-al. Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Am. J. Clin. Oncol. 2006;29 (1): 27-31. doi:10.1097/01.coc.0000189691.04140.02 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Tanzler ED, Morris CG, Orlando CA et-al. Management of sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma. Head Neck. 2008;30 (5): 595-9. doi:10.1002/hed.20748 - Pubmed citation