Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) is a type of non Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) and accounts for ~5% of all NHL. It is a malignant neoplasm of virgin B cells that closely resemble normal mantle zone B cells surrounding germinal centres.
They occur in older adults (mean age ~60 years). There is a recognised male predilection (M:F of ~4:1) 2.
MCL is usually widespread at diagnosis and frequently involves, apart from lymph nodes, the spleen, bone marrow, and gastrointestinal tract.
MCL is characterised by an infiltrate of small to medium-sized cells with folded nuclei and scanty cytoplasm. The diagnosis of MCL was confirmed by histological assessment and immunohistochemical evaluation, including cyclin D1.
Many cases have the t(11;14)(q13;q32) translocation that causes an over expression of cyclin-D1 2.
Treatment and prognosis
The survival is short with a ~50% 5-year survival. Over one-third of the patients can die within a year despite the administration of aggressive combination chemotherapy.
- overview of lymphoma
WHO classification of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues
- Hodgkin lymphoma
mature B-cell lymphoma
- Burkitt lymphoma
- follicular lymphoma
- lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma (Waldenström's macroglobulinaemia)
- lymphomatoid granulomatosis
- mantle cell lymphoma
- mature T-cell and NK-cell lymphoma
- post-transplant lymphoproliferative/lymphoproliferation disorders
- mature B-cell lymphoma
- location-specific lymphomas
- central nervous system
- head and neck lymphoma
- thoracic lymphoma
- gastrointestinal lymphoma
- hepatobiliary lymphoma
- genitourinary lymphoma
- musculoskeletal lymphoma
- cutaneous lymphoma
- lymphoma staging
- 1. Brepoels L, Stroobants S, De wever W et-al. Positron emission tomography in mantle cell lymphoma. Leuk. Lymphoma. 2008;49 (9): 1693-701. doi:10.1080/10428190802216707 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Pérez-galán P, Dreyling M, Wiestner A. Mantle cell lymphoma: biology, pathogenesis, and the molecular basis of treatment in the genomic era. 2010;doi:10.1182/blood-2010-04-189977 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Chung HH, Kim YH, Kim JH et-al. Imaging findings of mantle cell lymphoma involving gastrointestinal tract. Yonsei Med. J. 2003;44 (1): 49-57. Yonsei Med. J. (link) - Pubmed citation