Fractures of the thumb are important due to huge impact the thumb has on the overall function of the hand, an understanding of the types of fractures that occur is important, as treatment varies with fracture type.
Metacarpal fractures include:
- intra-articular fractures
Phalangeal fractures include:
- Skier's thumb (also known as gamekeeper's thumb): not always associated with a fracture
- terminal tuft fractures
- 1. Manaster B. J., David G. Disler, David A. May and David J. Sartoris. Musculoskeletal imaging. Gulf Professional Publishing, 2002. ISBN: 0323011896, 9780323011891.
- 2. Brüser Peter, Alain Gilbert and Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand. Finger bone and joint injuries. Taylor & Francis, 1999. ISBN: 1853176907, 9781853176906.
Wrist and hand fractures
- wrist and hand fractures (Amsterdam wrist rules)
- distal radial fracture (Frykman classification)
- distal ulna fractures
- fracture dislocations of the radius and ulna
- carpal fractures
- metacarpal fractures
- phalanx fractures