Salt and pepper sign (disambiguation)
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Frank Gaillard had no recorded disclosures.View Frank Gaillard's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no financial relationships to ineligible companies to disclose.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
The salt and pepper sign is used to refer to a speckled appearance of tissue on imaging. It is used in many contexts, but most commonly for the appearance of certain lesions on MRI, especially paragangliomas.
- salt and pepper noise (MRI artifact) 9
- salt and pepper sign (ARPCKD) 8
- salt and pepper sign (paraganglioma) 1-7
- salt and pepper sign (Sjögren syndrome)
- salt and pepper sign (vertebral hemangioma)
salt and pepper skull (hyperparathyroidism)
- sometimes confused with raindrop skull of myeloma
NB: pathologists also use the term "salt and pepper", to refer to a distinctive appearance of the chromatin in some diseases 10.
When you think about it, you can probably find folk who have used the term for all sorts of lesions; any lesion that has a fine granular imaging texture will do the trick.
- 1. Elsayes K, Narra V, Leyendecker J, Francis I, Lewis J, Brown J. MRI of Adrenal and Extraadrenal Pheochromocytoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005;184(3):860-7. doi:10.2214/ajr.184.3.01840860 - Pubmed
- 2. J.N. Bruneton. Applications of Sonography in Head and Neck Pathology. (2012) ISBN: 9783642562136 - Google Books
- 3. Mahmood F. Mafee, Galdino E. Valvassori, Minerva Becker. Imaging of the Head and Neck. (2005) ISBN: 9783131009425 - Google Books
- 4. Weissman J & Hirsch B. Imaging of Tinnitus: A Review. Radiology. 2000;216(2):342-9. doi:10.1148/radiology.216.2.r00au45342 - Pubmed
- 5. Chao S, Mullins M, Slanetz P. Posterior Mediastinal Pheochromocytoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001;176(6):1408. doi:10.2214/ajr.176.6.1761408 - Pubmed
- 6. Seo C, Han M, Chang K, Yeon K. Angiofibroma Confined to the Pterygoid Muscle Region: CT and MR Demonstration. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 1996;17(2):374-6. PMC8338372 - Pubmed
- 7. Chavhan G & Shroff M. Twenty Classic Signs in Neuroradiology: A Pictorial Essay. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2009;19(2):135-45. doi:10.4103/0971-3026.50835 - Pubmed
- 8. Iorio P, Heidet L, Rutten C et al. The "Salt and Pepper" Pattern on Renal Ultrasound in a Group of Children with Molecular-Proven Diagnosis of Ciliopathy-Related Renal Diseases. Pediatr Nephrol. 2020;35(6):1033-40. doi:10.1007/s00467-020-04480-z - Pubmed
- 9. Mafi M, Martin H, Adjouadi M. High Impulse Noise Intensity Removal in MRI Images. 2017 IEEE Signal Processing in Medicine and Biology Symposium (SPMB). 2017. doi:10.1109/spmb.2017.8257030
- 10. Liu C, Chen C, Bychkov A et al. Constitutive Cytomorphologic Features of Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Using Different Staining Methods. Diagnostics (Basel). 2021;11(8):1396. doi:10.3390/diagnostics11081396 - Pubmed