Citation, DOI and article data
Fluid in the endometrial cavity can result from a number of causes if excessive and associated with distension.
There are essentially three types of fluid:
Often a concern and some advocate the presence of echogenic fluid or an accompanying abnormal endometrial thickness as an indication for endometrial sampling 1-2.
Some authors suggest sampling if the surrounding endometrium is over 3 mm 2.
- 1. Takacs P, De Santis T, Nicholas MC et-al. Echogenic endometrial fluid collection in postmenopausal women is a significant risk factor for disease. J Ultrasound Med. 2006;24 (11): 1477-81. Pubmed citation
- 2. Goldstein SR. Postmenopausal endometrial fluid collections revisited: look at the doughnut rather than the hole. Obstet Gynecol. 1994;83 (5 Pt 1): 738-40. Pubmed citation
- 3. Brooks SE, Yeatts-Peterson M, Baker SP et-al. Thickened endometrial stripe and/or endometrial fluid as a marker of pathology: fact or fancy?. Gynecol. Oncol. 1996;63 (1): 19-24. doi:10.1006/gyno.1996.0271 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Zalel Y, Tepper R, Cohen I et-al. Clinical significance of endometrial fluid collections in asymptomatic postmenopausal women. J Ultrasound Med. 1996;15 (7): 513-5. Pubmed citation
- 5. Vuento MH, Pirhonen JP, Mäkinen JI et-al. Endometrial fluid accumulation in asymptomatic postmenopausal women. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1996;8 (1): 37-41. doi:10.1046/j.1469-0705.1996.08010037.x - Pubmed citation
- 6. Debby A, Malinger G, Glezerman M, Golan A. Intra-uterine fluid collection in postmenopuasal women with cervical stenosis. (2006) Maturitas. 55 (4): 334-7. doi:10.1016/j.maturitas.2006.04.026 - Pubmed
- 7. Takacs P, De Santis T, Nicholas MC, Verma U, Strassberg R, Duthely L. Echogenic endometrial fluid collection in postmenopausal women is a significant risk factor for disease. (2005) Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 24 (11): 1477-81. Pubmed