Bird fancier lung
Bird fancier lung refers to a type of hypersensitivity pneumonitis occurring as a response to avian antigens (usually inhaled proteins in the dust of bird feathers and droppings). It can have acute, subacute and chronic clinical presentations.
For a broad discussion on this entity, please refer to the main article on hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
HRCT chest features can differ depending on whether it is acute, subacute or chronic but in general can be similar to other forms hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Treatment and prognosis
Cessation of avian exposure forms a key part of management. Most cases have a good prognosis following cessation.
- 1. Remy-Jardin M, Remy J, Wallaert B et-al. Subacute and chronic bird breeder hypersensitivity pneumonitis: sequential evaluation with CT and correlation with lung function tests and bronchoalveolar lavage. Radiology. 1993;189 (1): 111-8. Radiology (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Morais A, Winck JC, Delgado L et-al. Suberosis and bird fancier's disease: a comparative study of radiological, functional and bronchoalveolar lavage profiles. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2004;14 (1): 26-33. Pubmed citation
- 3. Chan AL, Juarez MM, Leslie KO et-al. Bird fancier's lung: a state-of-the-art review. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2012;43 (1-2): 69-83. doi:10.1007/s12016-011-8282-y - Pubmed citation
- 4. Morell F, Roger A, Reyes L et-al. Bird fancier's lung: a series of 86 patients. Medicine (Baltimore). 2008;87 (2): 110-30. doi:10.1097/MD.0b013e31816d1dda - Pubmed citation
- 5. Bourke S, Boyd G. Pigeon fancier's lung. BMJ. 1997;315 (7100): 70-1. doi:10.1136/bmj.315.7100.70 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
Interstitial lung disease
interstitial lung disease
- drug-induced interstitial lung disease
- hypersensitivity pneumonitis
idiopathic interstitial pneumonia (mnemonic)
- acute interstitial pneumonia (AIP)
- cryptogenic organising pneumonia (COP)
- desquamative interstitial pneumonia (DIP)
- idiopathic nonspecific interstitial pneumonia (NSIP)
- idiopathic pleuroparenchymal fibroelastosis
- lymphoid interstitial pneumonia (LIP)
- respiratory bronchiolitis–associated interstitial lung disease (RB-ILD)
- usual interstitial pneumonia / idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (UIP/IPF)