Adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS) of the lung refers to a relatively new entity for a pre-invasive lesion in the lung. This entity partly replaces the noninvasive end of the previous term bronchoalveolar carcinoma. Adenocarcinoma in situ is defined as a localised adenocarcinoma of <3 cm that exhibits a lepidic growth pattern, with neoplastic cells along the alveolar structures but without stromal, vascular, or pleural invasion 1.
While adenocarcinoma in situ is usually seen as a pure ground glass nodule or a part-solid lung nodule, there can be is an overlap among the imaging features of atypical adenomatous hyperplasia, adenocarcinoma in situ, and invasive adenocarcinoma of the lung 1.
Treatment and prognosis
Adenocarcinoma in situ carries an excellent prognosis, with reported survival rates of 100% following complete tumour resection.
- 1. Lee SM, Goo JM, Park CM et-al. A new classification of adenocarcinoma: what the radiologists need to know. Diagn Interv Radiol. 2012;18 (6): 519-26. doi:10.4261/1305-3825.DIR.5778-12.1 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Kerr KM. Pulmonary adenocarcinomas: classification and reporting. Histopathology. 2009;54 (1): 12-27. Histopathology (full text) - doi:10.1111/j.1365-2559.2008.03176.x - Pubmed citation
- 3. Yatabe Y, Borczuk AC, Powell CA. Do all lung adenocarcinomas follow a stepwise progression?. Lung Cancer. 2011;74 (1): 7-11. doi:10.1016/j.lungcan.2011.05.021 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Lee HJ, Lee CH, Jeong YJ et-al. IASLC/ATS/ERS International Multidisciplinary Classification of Lung Adenocarcinoma: novel concepts and radiologic implications. J Thorac Imaging. 2012;27 (6): 340-53. doi:10.1097/RTI.0b013e3182688d62 - Pubmed citation
lung cancer: an overview
non-small-cell lung cancer
- adenosquamous carcinoma
- large cell carcinoma
- primary sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung
- squamous cell carcinoma
- salivary gland-type tumours
- pulmonary neuroendocrine tumours
- preinvasive lesions
- benign neoplasms
- pulmonary metastases
- lung cancer screening
- lung cancer staging
- non-small-cell lung cancer